This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by kanika sukhani. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

What Are The Top 5 Careers For Today’s Woman That Pay Well?

More from kanika sukhani

As a working woman, one gets to experience a whole different level of financial independence. Anyone who has experienced such independence once is not likely to give it up. In life, many unavoidable circumstances come up that can act as a hindrance to a woman’s career goals.

There has been a gradual shift to different kinds of career paths from the traditional 9 to 5 jobs. This has happened majorly because of the diverse level of complexities faced by women nowadays.

Today, many women are coming forward to support their families against present and future contingencies like the Covid-19 pandemic.

Having a job enables women to make their own decisions, without having to rely on anybody else’s opinion. Representational image. Photo credit: YourStory.

I want to make a list of the 5 best career paths out there for 21st-century women. What’s more, these jobs pay well too.

1. Freelancing/online jobs

With the advancement of technology, we can experience the unarguable power of the internet. This has made it possible to earn while being at home through freelancing. The Internet has made it possible to create a pool of online jobs for women.

It has proved to be a boon for housewives who can get the best of both worlds now. Not only for housewives, online jobs has provided a platform to everyone. Starting from a student with no experience to a woman in her 40s looking for a fresh start, there is space for everyone.

2. Entrepreneurship

Entrepreneurship refers to setting up one’s own business. It is the process of taking on financial risks in the hopes of earning a profit. It is not just a numbers game though, unlike the popular notion about it. It is more of a multitasking situation. One needs to understand what  one’s target market needs.

I think that women are gifted when it comes to understanding others’ needs. Not only do they know where they are headed, they also create more jobs for women. Thus, they help in reducing the gender gap in the workforce.

It’s a lot easier in today’s age to become an entrepreneur, as compared to the struggles of the previous generation of women. Today, with the help of many new-age platforms such as Amazon, Flipkart, Myntra, Nykaa etc., one has a road map available if they want to become an online seller.

Such platforms make it more convenient for women to take more risks as they provide some security to them.

3. Nutrition/Fitness

The health and fitness industry is on the rise as lifestyles have changed drastically. It has seen its highest peak in recent times. A majority of urban people are looking to hire a nutritionist or a fitness instructor.

Due to lockdowns, gyms and fitness centers were shut down. This pushed many to shift to online training, be it fitness classes or consulting a nutritionist to follow a particular diet.

Nowadays, many people associated with the fitness industry have tapped into the growing market. They can now access a bigger market share by uploading fitness tips online.

Platforms such as YouTube and Instagram allow them to sell memberships to their classes. Once you get hold of your niche market in this industry, you will be able to build a loyal customer base  and a credible brand in the long run.

4. Social Media Marketing

Social media has become an inseparable part of our lives. From waking up in the morning till we sleep, it is always around us. Social media has opened up a wide range of possibilities. One such possibility is the role of a social media manager.

A social media manager has to wear many hats. She plays the role of a marketer, a strategist, a copywriter, a designer, an analyst, and a customer service representative.

Managing all these diverse responsibilities requires one to be on their toes, constantly. Moreover, qualities like organizing, making connections and being a multi-tasker are required. I believe that all these qualities are such that women can tap into them.

Studies say that women are the most effective social media professionals. This is because they bring a combination of hard and soft skills to the table.

5. Online Education

Education and tutoring is one such career path that has been a hit when it comes to women. Earlier, it was stereotyped as a safe bet for women to make. But now, the meaning of it has changed completely, especially with the advent of online learning and its associated perks. I believe that if you are a pregnant woman or a housewife, then online education is one of the best jobs for you. So, if you ever wished to teach or have an inclination towards it, then the pandemic is the best time to become an online tutor. What are you waiting for?

Need For Financial Independence As A Woman

The phrase ‘my life, my rules’ could not fit any better than when arguing for women’s financial independence. It not only allows them to be their own master, but also gives them respect. Being independent allows one to make wise decisions and be self-sufficient.

Here are some of the factors that signify the importance of financial independence for a woman:

1. Respect:

Respect is of the utmost importance in one’s life. Let’s face it that in real life, respect is determined by how much you earn. One is respected according to it and also according to how much one contributes to the society at large. It is the same reason why many women face unfair treatment. In a household, fair treatment is linked to one’s financial status, to a large extent. A woman who is not financially independent stands at a higher risk of losing out on the respect and dignity she deserves in life.

1. Quality of life:

Women who earn are more likely to lead a better quality of life. It can be in the form of better living standards like access to healthcare, education, safety and other such needs. It is not that the ones who are not financially independent don’t have access to any of these. But, one knows that in a lot of cases, they have had to give up on some of these.

1. A secure future:

Women can make their futures secure when they invest and save. They can efficiently invest their savings only when they have their own finances. These savings depend on one’s earning capacity, so it’s a cycle where each factor goes hand in hand with the other. It is of utmost importance that every woman becomes financially independent so that they never have to feel helpless in their lives.

1. Confidence:

A financially independent woman is more capable of making her own decisions, since she doesn’t have to depend on others. This not only leads to a feeling of self-respect, but also makes her more confident to face different kinds of situations in her life. She can fulfill her wishes without being answerable to anyone.

1. Independence:

The word independence is pretty self-explanatory, in this context. It is extremely important for all women, irrespective of their status. Be it a married, single, separated, widowed, or divorced woman, she should be financially independent.

1. Decision-making skills:

With independence comes the ability to take one’s own decisions. Not just decisions, but to be able to back one’s intuitions. It is important to be able to plan and manage your finances for the fulfillment of one’s future goals.

Having the option of working from home, although a challenging feat, has aided many women to enter the workspace. Representational image. Photo credit: Shutterstock

Women Run The World

An increasing trend towards financial independence can be seen in our society. This trend is supportive of young women in various ways.  It has opened up roadblocks such as stereotyping and cultural biases, as there has been a gradual decline in these. Moreover, in today’s time, there is no such job that a woman can’t do.

There are no women-specific jobs anymore. Indian women are making a mark in non-traditional career paths. Today, women are more than equal in every which way, when compared to their male counterparts. There has been a rise in this equality, not only in the terms of opportunities, but also in terms of equal pay.

The aforementioned jobs are some of the best career paths for women. Ranging from the ones with no experience to the ones who don’t have a college degree, there is a job for everyone.

Not only do these jobs have a higher demand for women, they also offer a decent pay. In the end, you can choose the one that fits your interests and educational qualifications the best.

At the turn of this century, the stereotypical image of women has been entirely challenged. She is now seen as an income earner too.

Featured image is for representational purposes only.

More from kanika sukhani

By Amey Ollalwar

By Emily Michael

By Ranjeet Menon