This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Ishank Chhibber. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Review: ‘Charmed’ Reboot Is A Disappointing Rip Off Of The Original Show’s Plotlines!

More from Ishank Chhibber

Growing up in the ’90s, I witnessed the television scenario change in front of my eyes. Change in terms of the type of serials that were being launched and the various types of new genres that were being explored. If you are a fan of the supernatural theme you might have heard or seen the series called ‘Charmed. The series was created by Constance M. Burge and produced by Aron Spelling, the show aired from 7th October 1998 to 21st May 2016.

Charmed Season 1 Power of Three Halliwell Sisters TV Show Television  Original Series Witchcraft Merchandise Laminated Dry Erase Sign Poster  24x36 - Poster Foundry
Representative image only.

The show was about three sisters, who were three of the most powerful witches of all time to exist and who were prophesied by their ancestor Melisa Warren, who was burned at the stake during the Salem witch trials.  This trio of witches is tasked with the responsibility of protecting the innocent from the warlocks, demons and other such dark forces.

What made the show unique and fun to watch was that, it had an element of romance, drama, comedy and scare factor and the special effects were good for that time period. Also, the story arcs and the character development was something was fun to watch. Growing up the show became an integral part of my life and watching the charming ones kick some demon butts were fun and every character had a strong storyline even the guest stars, which made it fun. Also, the fact that the lead actors actually looked like sisters in some way was a major plus point. This show, which broke the then TRP records with its premier was bound to come back.

As a die-hard fan, the news of the reboot got me excited and like a lot of fans I was looking forward to it, then came the turn the show would be cast with new cast members as the lead and when the promo was released, I knew that it would be a disaster.

For starters, the new sisters do not look like sisters at all and lack the comic timing and general chemistry to make it was it was. The new story of the show has basically mixed the elements of the old show and is on some sort of a power run through it, which makes me wonder what will happen when the original shows storylines and juice runs out for the show to merge.

So let’s take a look at this shall we, let’s start with the names of the sister in the original run Prue, Piper (Holly Maire Combs) and Phoebe ( Allysa Milano) and post-season 3 post the departure of Shannen Doherty, Paige Mcgown was bought in as her replacement as a half-witch and half white lighter. Keeping the P tradition her character was named Paige. The series did fair justice to the story arc of Paige as well, showing the sisters getting used to the idea of a new sister, who was a half-witch and half-white lighter (angel)

Charmed (The CW) Trailer HD - 2018 Reboot - YouTube
Charmed Reboot. Representative image only.

Let’s get introduced to the new cast members, the characters of the cast members start with M a change that does not really affect the already weak storyline but it would have been a good montage to the original show if the character names would have started with P.

Madeleine Mantock plays the character of the eldest sister Macy Vaughn and her storyline is very similar to Paige. She was given up for adoption after her birth for reasons that have not been disclosed yet! At the same time, she is born some kind of evil in her so is she a half-demon and half-witch, which would make her stark opposite of Paige.

Melonie Diaz who plays the character of Mel Pruitt has the iconic power of Piper to freeze time. Personally, that was my favourite power in the show. Her storyline is that of a more or less feminist activist who needs to wave her palm to freeze time. As of now, she is the only one in the show who has shown some decent comic timing that in one episode.

Finally, we have Sarah Jeffery who plays the character of Maggie Vera who ideally would be the character of Phoebe, but instead of the power of premonition, she has the power of empathy which at times feels like she is a telepath. Albeit Phoebe in the journey of the show, also got the power of empathy due to her powers being advanced apart from levitation.

In the original show, we were introduced to Leo played by Brain Krause was the guardian angel who was guiding the charmed ones in their journey and later became the love interest of Piper. Through a lot of trials and tribulations, they ultimately got married and bore one of the most powerful male witch Wyatt Mathew Halliwell. The new charmed introduces us to Harry, played by Rupert Evans who is the white lighter guiding the new charmed ones.

Unlike Leo who could orb with any number of passengers so as to say, Harry seems to be on some kind of limit as if he does this it drains him and for some reason, his memories of his human life have been taken away when he became a white lighter.

The 'Charmed' Reboot Tries To Be Fierce And Misses Out On The Fun
Representative image only.

I mean wouldn’t it help him connect with the girls if he retained his memories like had which in the show helped him connect with the girl a lot better. Well obviously, he never kidnapped them so as to say to tell them that they are the Charmed ones, it was something they discovered on their own and the New Charmed ones were kidnapped by Harry and in their attic is where they found that they are Charmed ones.

Other characters from the original show like Elders make their presence in the new show only this time they are all women who are continuously dressed in white, I mean what is up with that. Even when the elders are in the mortal world living their lives earning their bread and butter (All white, all the time) and surprise surprise all of them are dead by the end of the first season.

Don’t even get me started about the source, one of the most formidable foes that the sister defeated in the original show in the new how it’s a magical energy that can be controlled by a being that has a light and good in him or her and that’s when Macy who has Ibby in her (evil or demonic blood in her) absorbs that energy and sort of goes bonkers and the sisters ultimately release that energy and bind it in a ying-yang locket. Really now!

It would be interesting to see how the showrunners fill up the void of a Grams in the show and how the sister’s powers would evolve during the show, but till then watch the show with a pinch of salt and cringe moments.

The reboot is basically a ripoff from all the storylines that have been shown in the original show and the actresses I guess are still finding their footing in terms of acting. Where the show can become something very good, but with the storyline of Pheboe and Cole, Paige and Shanen being repeated in a quite tasteless manner, it is just sad.

The show has been renewed for a second season and the first season was tough and irritating to watch I don’t know how the second season will pan out since the charmed ones are the unofficial elders of the magical community.

So yes I know that the third season is out but, sometimes technology can be a curse and for some reason, I wasn’t able to post this for a very long time.

More from Ishank Chhibber

By Suranya

By Ehsan Mohammadi

By Saikat Pyne