This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by agadhdesignstudio. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

9 Common Mistakes Made By Social Media Companies While Marketing Their Brand

More from agadhdesignstudio

In several social media marketing guides and manuals online, you frequently find directions stating that businesses should be genuine and provide excellent content to their online viewers. When you try to accomplish that, though, you don’t necessarily get good outcomes. That is why there are so many company pages on Facebook with only a few hundred followers. These companies may be doing everything correctly, but they may also be doing certain things extremely poorly.

Here in this blog, we will provide a breakdown of frequent social media blunders to avoid if you want your business’s social media strategy to be successful:

Social Media Blunders To Avoid

1. Not Having A Social Media Strategy 

Many businesses that take their initial steps into the realm of social media marketing just half-heartedly follow a lackadaisical guide instead of developing a comprehensive social media marketing plan. The first step should be to evaluate your options in terms of social media and corporate goals. That should be the guiding principle for all of your actions online.

Conducting social media marketing without understanding who you’re speaking to, how to promote your posts, and what action to take immediately and in the near future is akin to driving a vehicle without realizing how much gas you have or where you’re going. It’s a blunder that may cause your entire social media campaign to fall flat and all of your hard work to be just for naught.

2. Purchasing Social Media Followers 

We are all aware that purchasing followers are against the rules of any social networking platform. However, when relatively few people follow any of your company’s social media pages, this illegal activity starts seeming increasingly appealing. After all, how can you possibly refuse a thousand followers for just less than $10?

Such deals only promise to be a bogus temptation. In reality, you may be actually paying to set up your social media profile for doom.  How is that conceivable? Because purchasing followers violate the Facebook and Instagram algorithms.

When you create a post, it appears in the feeds of a few individuals in your audience. The algorithm considers a post to be good if it receives a lot of likes and comments. It will then continue to show it to additional subscribers.

Image by Robert Cheaib from Pixabay. Representational image.

Assume you started with 500 followers and paid to gain 1000 more. Now, two-thirds of your social media audience is made up of accounts with thousands of memberships. They are not interested in your postings and are unlikely to react to them regularly even if they actively check their feed.

Since there were too many false identities created on Facebook for the purpose of selling followers, even genuine ads started receiving phony likes. This became a crisis since the fraudulent likes were causing damage to businesses, and Facebook was forced to erase almost 2 billion bogus accounts. Why did huge brands force Facebook to do this?

It is because these bogus accounts inhibit the algorithm from promoting posts. As a result, fewer of your initial subscribers will receive your posts regularly. This is most likely not what you had in mind when you paid for followers.

Bear in mind that you are not pursuing the number of subscribers; you’re seeking conversions through genuine engagement. Purchasing followers will simply take you further away from your objective.

3. Choosing The Wrong Tone 

Users on social media have complete control over their personal profiles. After all, it’s merely for their followers and friends to learn more about their personal life. But, the activity of a brand on Instagram or Twitter is scrutinized much more closely.

If you choose a brand personality that feels extra formal, you run the risk of appearing extra dull for your audience. However, there is a larger social media sin – that of attempting to attract social media followers by being too relaxed, or worse, disrespectful.

4. Displaying A Disrespectful Sense Of Humor 

Attempts at humor can occasionally fall flat. A joke, for example, maybe introduced in an ad like in one of those obnoxious ways where the advertising department just places a scantily-clad woman in a photo and hopes that it will be sufficient to entice people to purchase their product. It’s not amusing; it’s plain insulting.

So, before you send a tweet or post on Instagram, ponder to decide what tone best represents your brand and resonates with your ideal target audience.

5. Deleting Negative User Feedback  

You must’ve definitely seen a handful of corporations respond to a critical remark by engaging in a protracted and unpleasant debate, only to remove the entire thread.

This is one of the most disingenuous things that a brand can do online. You must demonstrate to your audience that you have nothing to conceal and remain neutral when confronted with an unfavorable critique.

If the individual commenting points out your error, thank them for their suggestion and work to improve. Otherwise, ignore them if they are simply being nasty for the sole purpose of trolling you.

Mistakes Made By Social Media Companies

When done correctly, social media promises an immense potential to establish your brand’s community, develop your client base, and increase your business ROI. However, if you continue to make social media marketing blunders, all of your efforts will be for naught. Here, we’ll go over some of the most typical social media marketing mistakes that companies must avoid, as well as “how to do social media” in a manner that gets you the outcomes you require.

1. Not Displaying A Human Side 

My brand is only my concern and business. If that is your approach to social media, you will not go too far with your online presence. People desire to interact with other people, don’t they? They wish to come across and engage with humans who behave and think exactly like them.

Social media accounts allow businesses to bring out and display their human side and interact with like-minded people. Just like individuals welcome and engage with one another, your brand’s social media profile should do the same.

Social media is for interacting with others. Use it to demonstrate to your customers that your brand, just like them, is at the end of the day, a social creature. It’s an excellent method to create trust.

2. Excessive Brand Promotion 

Another common social media marketing blunder made by businesses is this. Several of your online followers will lose confidence in your brand if you over-promote your services and products, believe it or not.

Reduce your advertising activity online to a bare minimum. According to best practices, post just 1 promotional post for every 4 non-promotional posts.

Reshares, a picture or photo that represents your brand culture, or your work culture, how-to instructions, blog posts or infographics, are examples of non-promotional updates. Try to provide something that will benefit your readers.

3. Posting Unedited Content  

Your company may boast an excellent in-house team of amazing copywriters and extra-vigilant social media managers. But if non-proofed content containing embarrassing grammatical mistakes or irrelevant messages goes live on your business’s social media, it may be extremely harmful to your brand’s perception.

Make it compulsory for your managers to cross-check every piece of content slated for publication. Examine the photos, videos, and text on graphics for potential problems as well.

4. Being Irregular 

So, you devised a strategy in which you stated that you would publish three times every day. But you were so preoccupied with other elements of your business that you failed to publish a single update. What a disaster!

Once you’ve developed a plan and been consistent with your posting, missing even a single day might have a negative impact on your engagement rates and impressions, jeopardizing all your social media marketing efforts to date. If you don’t provide updates on a regular basis, your content may remain hidden from the majority of your followers.

Savvy social media marketers plan their posts routinely for specific times of the day or even a week as a strategy. You should also refrain from making an update simply because you must. But, even then, arranging your posting schedule using and updating a social media content calendar will prevent you from doing so.

Final Takeaway

The final message is that there is not just a single thing that you must do to magically improve your social media efforts overnight. It is all about paying attention to each tiny component, thus aligning your objectives and procedures so that you can accomplish the fundamentals effectively and grow on that.

Set a clear plan with targets, provide value to your customers, display genuine interest in providing excellent customer care, don’t be sloppy, and meet audience expectations. If you follow these recommendations, you should be well on your way to having a social media following that increases your client base and your ROI – which is all that any business wants.

Featured image is for representational purposes only.

More from agadhdesignstudio

By Sohel Ahmed Khan

By Blessy M

By Ishika Das