This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Jahanvi Khurana. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Women As Women’s Allies: Let’s Elevate Each Other Every Day Instead Of Poking Fun

Back in 1975, the United Nations decided to annually celebrate International Women’s Day, a day to glorify and amplify all the women out there; or may be the only day when women are respected for being what they are; or may be as a casual day for a few, where women and their opinions are still not pondered over. An eternity away and yet we are on the same page.

Doesn’t matter what the year is, feminism continues to be overpowered by patriarchy. Doesn’t matter what their age is, women continue to be unsafe; doesn’t matter what their personality is, women will continue to be judged by their clothes; doesn’t matter how successful she is, a woman is supposed to be feminine over bold; doesn’t matter how independent they are, women continue to be unconfident walking alone on the streets.

It really doesn’t matter what year it is, 1975 or 2021, women continue to live under a cover of societal norms. They can be strong but not silver-tongued, they can be successful but not without carrying all the ‘social tags’. Why it is the woman who is taught to be safe and why are men not taught to behave well?

I heartily respect those men who are acquainted with their duties and responsibilities, and treat women equally without tossing up societal norms and tags. But I am ashamed of those men who overpower their voice to lower the voices of women, and only raise their issues to divert attention away from women’s issues and in order to quieten them. Such people truly need to stop being against women in disguise of supporting men.

Being a woman in 2021 feels like having a sword, but not having even a single hand to fight the battle with, or maybe a bird who has wings but not the sky to fly. Being a woman of this century means having to fight to be believed by others that she was abused, rather than having to fight for standing up against abuse. At the time of gathering strength, she has to gather proofs of being a ‘victim’, justifying all her past actions, friendships and even outfits.

It’s still like fighting the underlying patriarchy of our world while choosing the battles of our own choice. Though the world has opened doors to technology and advanced itself in every possible aspect, it has also simultaneously also closed the every possible door that could take it towards a broader mindset, deepening the roots of conservatism and orthodoxy.

Living as a woman feels like living with the baggage of societal pressure, day and night. Well, the moment that unnerves me is when a few women get a thrill out of poking fun at other women in their society, aggravating more weight on their shoulders. Nothing can make me feel more wretch than this. Also, a big shout-out to all women who admire and inspire other women in society.

Despite all this, I’m beaming with an ambition that at least our generation won’t face what we faced. For the very same cause, we need to get to the roots of such stroke of bad luck (that is none other than society) — the way women have been up brought, the morality and sense of civility that is forced upon them. Apart from this, we need to stop watering the roots of this bad luck, which is done incredibly by our Government. Stern measures should be taken in spite of long court cases, so that no other survivor dies while still seeking justice. 

Though I’m truly blessed with a supporting family, society surely disappoints me. But as quoted by Robert Green Ingersoll, “Hope is the only bee that makes honey without flowers”. So, in spite of all such adversities, just your few words of solace can hearten and cheer up each woman.

From now onwards, please ensure that instead of celebrating a few occasions of womanhood, celebrate each day by not just elevating and supporting your known ones, but by also asking them how can you be an ally to them.  

More from Jahanvi Khurana

By kanika sukhani

By Rachana Priyadarshini

By Rachana Priyadarshini