14.4% of members of Lok Sabha are women; which means the remaining 85.6 % of members are men. We all know the difference in pay received by Women cricketers as compared to Men cricketers. 87% of Engineers in India are male and only 13% are female. Yes, the percentage share of women in each field, be it sports, education or politics is increasing slowly; but the statistics show that opportunities are much more plentiful for men even in today’s modern world.
My sister and I, who is 3 years older than me, both were good at studies. I never had any trouble asking my family regarding my education. I was free to move to any place I desired for my work and studies. However, for my sister, safety was a big issue. Back then, our parents felt it difficult to send my sister alone to other cities for her higher studies, as women’s safety was a big issue 15 years ago. Undeniably, things have improved. But even today, girls aren’t as free as boys to choose their career and life due to many factors we all know about. Not only these extra opportunities but the extra physical strength that men have, our patriarchal society provides power inclination to men should make them believe that they are way too fortunate!
On the other hand, there is this significant saying, ‘With great opportunity comes great responsibility‘. Men are expected to be strong always. After reaching adulthood men are judged by the money they earn (or not); such is not the case with women. We have heard of some cases of a woman taking advantage of certain laws in their favor to tarnish the image of a man. Sacrifices done by a father are mostly not remembered as his job is taken granted for. Most men would have to forego their artistic likes to devote their time towards work so that the family is financially stable. Many women have that kind of liberty to choose their hobby or passion.
One can make many arguments on both the scenarios discussed. Some men would be weighed down by the added responsibility given to them. This is but natural, as we never know what kind of adversities they may be going through in their life. Some would be lucky to have a balance between the opportunities and responsibilities given. And some would enjoy those extra responsibilities, for they might consider the opportunities in their life. But the point remains valid. Yes, men should consider themselves fortunate; for our society is still patriarchal and they have much more liberty in life as compared to women.