This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Swagata Chakraborty. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Which College To Apply In, What Majors To Pick: Decisions That Haunt College Life

“Growing up”, as fun and exciting as it sounds, also means navigating through many ups and downs of life. It is the phase of your life in which you are moving out of the protective shield of your parents and onto a journey of your own to find your way into the world that awaits a whole lot of experiences. Being prepared always helps you learn to enjoy every experience that comes your way.

The first vital step towards the world of growing up is entering college life. But there are a lot of behind-the-scene events that go on before your actual journey starts. Similarly, you need to do a lot of research before you finally zero in on one college that will shape the rest of your journey.

Students often find the decision-making process associated with this phase cluttered. The most predominant questions students ask are: what major to pick, which college to apply for and which country/region to study in? Financial mentoring plays a crucial role as the lack of finances can be a driving factor in your selection of colleges. Moreover, the fear of leaving your city and home behind to attend college is another concern that comes along with this phase. For most of us, college life is the first time we actually come out of our cocoons and meet many new faces. We realise that everything altogether can get really overwhelming.

Going away from your family is a major change in itself that can affect your mental and physical health. Missing your friends and family back home can get really upsetting. On some days, you might not feel like getting out of bed or walking up to the classroom. Through such times, you should prioritise self-care: ensuring a healthy and positive mind and body is really important to your well-being. Take care of yourself, get yourself back into a routine, and make sure to eat and sleep in a timely manner. Take up activities that cheer you up and help you stay motivated.

College life is incomplete without the mention of friends. Make meaningful friendships that can help you thoughtfully navigate through this crucial phase of your life. A major aspect of our lives during this phase is the relationships we build. It is an inseparable part and parcel of this phase of our life. Managing relationships as young adults can make us more equipped in dealing with our set of complications. This is applicable particularly at a young age when we may not be accustomed to thinking rationally and may very well end up doing things we regret later.

But one learns from their mistakes, right? And certainly, breakups are a part and parcel of dating someone with whom a relationship is not quite working out. Many struggle to express their feelings and find it difficult to cope with their emotions. Heartbreaks can lead young minds to undergo mental health issues and paint their view of the world in a particular way. This can raise a lot of doubts and questions regarding your feelings of personal life, but we want to let you know that asking for help is a sign of strength. You are not alone through this and once you figure a constructive way out of this, it will only help you make better sense of all that has transpired.

“The best way out is always through.” — Robert Frost

Problems aren’t always a burden. You just need to find your way through it. So, how can we help? We at Project LaunchPad help you in shaping the way that leads to a better future.

“It’s time we focus on the holistic development of our youth and institute a structure that helps them navigate the most definitive years of their lives. Our demographic dividend is directly dependent on their growth and by cumulating our efforts, we hope to elevate our capabilities as a society,” says Nishigandha, Founder of Project LaunchPad. This quest to provide a safe and secure platform for students led to the birth of Project LaunchPad. As the name suggests, we build a foundation for students on which they can rely and help them prepare to launch off to a brighter future.

We have experts who can guide you through counselling with your college selection, scholarship programmes and majors to analyse where your inclination lies. We understand that traditional education doesn’t quite offer education on important topics such as becoming financially independent and developing emotional intelligence. So we provide a platform for you to learn these life skills, which, when coupled with technical skills, will make you not only a superstar at work but also in your personal life.

Sounds exciting, doesn’t it? To gain access to free content on managing your life better, follow us on Instagram @project_launchpad and email us at projectlaunchpad1@gmail.com to book a free consultation now.

More from Swagata Chakraborty

By Namrata Pandit

By Shipra Gupta

By Fatema Tambawalla