This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Sarchita Dutta. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

This Independence Day, Let’s Help Our Youth Get Free From Drug Consumption

When we hear the name ‘India’, the first picture that comes to our mind is its enormous population of 1.2 billion living in total unity and integrity. But as we delve deep into the underpinnings of our nation, or let me rather term it ‘a reality check’, its harsh reality of the lack of women’s safety, gender discrimination, lack of education and poverty hits us. One such big issue is drug consumption among the youth, especially during the Covid crisis.

Drug addiction is such an issue that will cast an impact on the youth, and hence the future of the nation. This cancerous element of our society is devouring today’s world and its development bit by bit. Our great Indian society is not an exception to this; here, people from all walks of life get lured by drugs due to their easy availability, just like a moth gets drawn to a source of light. Yet, what’s more horrifying is that the drug industry is one of the world’s fastest-growing businesses.

What Are The Common Causes Of Drug Abuse?

A common cause among teens that is cited for increased drug addiction is their exposure to a peer group that encourages drug addiction.

drug addict india
Representational image

This is what most teens today term as being ‘cool’. Other reasons for substance addiction include academic pressure, stress, depression etc.

Are parents and family members also to be blamed for drug consumption in their progeny or is the addict the only one responsible?

In my opinion, the environment a family provides to their child has a lot to do with them being a substance addict. Often, we see parents teaching their children to stay away from certain children if they are addicts; society constantly despises teens who are addicted to substances. But it is completely wrong to judge someone based on their consumption of drugs or alcohol.

We often see parents violently beating their children for consuming one of these substances, but as a parent, it is their duty to try to correct their child or help them get off drugs with the help of rehabilitation centres.

What Can You And I Do As Responsible Citizens?

Instead of isolating a person who is already going through the phase of addiction, we should try to discuss with them the consequences of drug consumption. If we don’t try to improve our youth and instead abandon them, it’s just like leaving the future of our country. We should make them realise that nothing is impossible and that hope and time are the only things essential in sparking a desire to make a change in our lives and overcome problems such as substance addiction.

In today’s world, even if one person stops drug consumption and tries to help someone get out of it as well, that change will be beyond description. Today’s youth is the future of our nation. This Independence Day, let us be torchbearers against drugs and alcohol consumption, and make someone independent of drugs, to make India a drug-free and healthy place to live in.

Jai Hind!

More from Sarchita Dutta

By Soumya T

By Ranjeet Menon

By Vaseem Chaudhary