This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Zaheer Hussain. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Here’s How You Can Properly Take Care Of Your Maine Coon Cat

More from Zaheer Hussain

Having a pet is a beautiful thing and animal companionship is recommended for everyone. Although there are many species of animals that are adapted to living in the house, humans are still divided into cat and dog lovers mostly. But what if you can have both?

The Maine Coon is a type of cat with a lot of dog traits. This breed is quite adored in the world not only because of their unique appearance but also because of their mild character and good nature. Although they may not seem so at first glance, these felines are kind-hearted giants that will easily fit in your life.

The Maine Coon cat is an intelligent and active animal that needs to be taken care of properly to be happy and healthy. These felines are very social, easygoing and flexible. They tend to bond easily with people and other animals. Since these giant cats are known for their longevity, they will keep you company for many years if you provide them with proper care.

Quality Foods

maine coon cat
Represenatative Image.

Maine Coons need to be fed frequently and on a consistent basis since they have bigger stomachs than other cats. It means they digest their food more quickly, so they need higher amounts to be full. You could even break meals into smaller portions and give them to your pet more often.

When choosing food for your Maine Coon, opt for ingredients high in protein and moderate in fats. Avoid carbs, but offer them some cat treats once in a while. You can also feed them with lean meat, mashed vegetables and even dry kibbles.

Be sure to provide enough clean water to your Maine Coon. These cats are water lovers, so don’t be surprised by seeing them drinking right off the faucet. Make sure that the bowl is clean, as these cats can be quite picky regarding hygiene.

Provide Enough Activities

Exercise is another important part of caring for your Maine Coon. Despite their bulky physics, they love to run and play. These cats have high energy levels, so they need to waste it somehow. Provide them with enough room to play.

A backyard will do. But you should also furnish a corner of your home with scratchers, climbers and all kinds of interactive toys. That will be a place where your pet can retreat anytime and enjoy hours of entertainment.

Make sure you devote some time to play with your pet. Maine Coons enjoy human company, so you have to share some activities. If you leave your big feline too often for too long, they could develop aggression towards people and other animals. Although good-natured, these felines can be quite hectic sometimes.

As these cats are trainable, you can teach them to walk on a leash. But make sure you first check how your Maine Coon acts outside. If you want your pet to spend more time in nature, consider taking them on many short trips in a carrier. Once they get used to the idea of being outside, take them on walks once a day. Always keep an eye on your pet so that they do not become stressed out.

Choose Proper Carrier

Suppose you are taking your pet with you on a road trip. In that case, you should ensure that the carrier has enough room. Maine Coons are bigger than most cats, so use some dog models if you can’t find cat carriers. These accessories should have enough room for your pet to turn around and lay down once. The larger the size of the carrier, the cosier it will be.

Grooming Needs

kitten
Representative Image. (Source: pxfuel)

Grooming your Maine Coon cat is very important, not only to keep them looking their best but also to promote good health. Many breeders provide new owners with information on how to keep the cats’ fur fresh and beautiful as this breed is blessed with a gorgeous coat that is both attractive and functional.

Properly brushing your Maine Coon’s hair will help keep their hair strong and healthy. Bathing is not always necessary, as these tidy cats do most of the job themselves. But if you spot greasy and tangled hair, you should give them a good bath.

Most cats prefer to be bathed in warm water with just a few drops of shampoo. When you wash your Maine Coon, it is a good idea to try to brush them before you put them in the tub or shower to prevent excess hair falling. Don’t scrub them vigorously. Use a soft brush, loofah or even a washcloth.

Be particularly careful in the eye area. As Maine Coons have sensitive eyes, wash their heads with lukewarm water only. Soap or shampoo can irritate and tingle them. These cats have water-repellent fur, so they will be dry soon after bathing. Still, use a soft towel to absorb the excess moisture.

During the bathe, clean your pet’s ears and make sure they are free of mites. Nail clipping is a must and you can do it every time you notice they’re sharp and too long. As Maine Coons love to scratch stuff, you can prevent them from damaging your stuff by regular nail cutting.

If you have already set your heart on these furballs, you should know that they require considerable care. As a species, Maine Coons have their good and less good sides, but having them can be very rewarding. So praise these giant fur balls and enjoy every second you spend together.

Featured Image via publicdomainpictures

More from Zaheer Hussain

By Godhuli Barat

By Amit kumar