This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Emily Michael. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Are You Considering Becoming A Doctor? Here Are A Few Things To Keep In Mind

More from Emily Michael

It is not everybody’s cup of tea to save lives. Why and how you want to become a doctor depends on the efforts you initiate as a medical student. The zeal and intensity in your passion decide the quality of doctor you become in the future. So, start planning and designing your future while others procrastinate and waste their time and energy.

Why Do You Want To Become A Doctor?

Find out by constantly questioning yourself why you have chosen the field of medical science as your career. There are a lot of career options available in the field in the 21st century that do not lead to you becoming a doctor. Keep questioning yourself why you want to do what you are doing. It is your passion? Or just a compulsion from family? Or is there any other reason?

The primary and only reason to become a doctor has to be passion. It is almost impossible to bear the pressure of the long process of becoming a doctor without utmost passion and dedication for the profession. If you are enough passionate about your goal, then it barely ever tires you mentally. Yes, you will get physically exhausted, but you won’t ever get mentally tired.

The primary game is in our minds to convince ourselves to keep on working for our goal.

Now That You Have Decided To Become A Doctor, Start Planning

Planning plays an important role in framing your career in any field. This is especially applicable in the case of becoming a doctor as well.

• Studies

It takes years of studying to become a doctor. So, studies need to be planned so that they can be completed within the given time in order to get timely admission to a good college and perform well there. In order to become a doctor, one needs to work hard each day with equal enthusiasm and zeal.

• Finance

If you plan to enrol yourself in the field of medical science, you need to plan your finances too. You need to have some savings for the future. Life is quite uncertain so in order to secure your studies, your family would have to prioritise saving till you complete your degree.

• Time management

The more you are passionate about something, the more you work for it. So, if you are really passionate about studying medical science, then do spend a good amount of time studying for it in order to become a successful doctor.

• The Location

Every medical student plans where they want to study and practice their profession. If you plan the details early, then you will get more time to research deeply.

The Sacrifice of The Favourites

In order to get something, we often need to sacrifice something that is very close to our hearts. This is especially true when our task is saving lives. This indeed comes with huge responsibility, along with immense dedication and extensive passion. There are times when medical students don’t get time to even eat, sit, study or and sleep. They often have to sacrifice close family functions, TV shows, attending parties with friends, etc. in order to study and save lives in the future.

Becoming a doctor is a much longer and intense commitment that takes years of hard work to finally see the results. So, till that time, patience and dedication is the key.

‘Sky Is The Limit’

As the phrase suggests, becoming a doctor is exactly this. When you plan to become a doctor, you must know that sky is the limit and even if you reach there, there is scope to proceed beyond. There is no limit in the extent of studies as well as knowledge of the human body that you can gain. There can be researches and further researches on every organ of a body.

Medical science study is in itself a vast area to be covered where students need to dive and sail through any situation in order to become a doctor. If you feel you can do anything to become a doctor, then this is exactly what you want. But if you feel you cannot sustain such a long commitment, then there are many options for you within medical science that are not as demanding as becoming a doctor.

A Lifelong Commitment

Your intense hard work and dedication can make you a doctor, but that is not the end of your commitment. It is just the start of the main phase of hard work and dedication, for which you have invested so many years. Yes, you heard it right. Becoming a doctor is the start of another battle that ends with you.

This responsibility starts with you committing to every patient to be treated equally. You will barely have any time of your own. If there is an emergency you have to run no matter where you are. Your presence stands between the life and death of a person. When you are committing to becoming a doctor, you are putting your own life as a second priority.

Serve The Nation

Becoming a doctor is another form of serving the nation with saving lives. If you are passionate about contributing yourself to this commitment selflessly then act on it, otherwise, it is a waste of time. Yes, doctors earn well, but they also must serve the poor and destitute for free. So, be sure of the consequences of how badly you want to serve your nation or anyone in need, for that matter.

How Time Plays An Important Role In A Doctor’s Life

Time plays a pivotal role in framing our lives as well as the consequences of our dreams. If we do anything before or after the right time, then the utility of the work diminishes. So, act effectively on time as it increases its utility. When you are a doctor, you need to act and react to a situation swiftly, so think wisely before you act.

Conclusion

So, here we can assert that these points can help you determine the intensity of your passion. The determination makes us commit all that we want badly in life. The fear of losing passion also makes us intensely work for it. Before joining the medical school, you must attend the USMLE step 1 programme. It will help you decide how you want to be a doctor. Moreover, passion makes us achieve, what we want in life.

More from Emily Michael

By Amey Ollalwar

By Ranjeet Menon

By anna mack