This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Harshita Shinde. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

12 Things To Tell Yourself When You’re Worried

More from Harshita Shinde

Happiness. So many theories have been made on this term. Behavioural scientists have spent a lot of time studying what makes us happy (and what doesn’t). We know happiness can predict health and longevity, and a happiness scale can be used to measure social progress and the success of public policies.

But happiness isn’t something that just happens to you. Everyone has the power to make small changes in their behaviour, surroundings and relationships that can help set them on course for a happier life. It just seems impossible how people can have so many complicating theories on something so sorted that a smiling, clapping infant can do, be and teach.

Everyone has different views on happiness, being happy and how to do so. Some think money can’t buy happiness; the practical ones think you can’t be happy till you’re comfortable and have your needs of living fulfilled. Some think it’s a tragedy for the mind; some think it’s the pureness of the heart.

sunset woman silhouette happy
You need to decide for yourself what makes you happy; what happiness is to you and not to the world.

But. That. Does. Not. Matter.

Others’ views don’t and shouldn’t matter to you. I am not saying others around you are wrong. I am just saying they are innately different. You need to decide for yourself what makes you happy; what happiness is to you and not to the world. By doing so, you will lead to the first step towards being happy and let me clear this out: this is my theory of happiness and what I think will help you make yours.

There are certain things that are a matter of happiness — confidence, trueness, loyalty, love and being true to yourself. Most of the grief and grim is caused by a lack of confidence; us thinking that we are not as worthy. Confidence is something you need to teach yourself. By being true to yourself, I mean being so true that your inner self will not have doubts about your character because doubt leads to a lack of confidence, which leads to unhappiness. And love, it combines everything, just everything from infinite trust to impenetrable loyalty, from care to kindness, from pureness to strength.

Oh, and don’t think happiness is all about changing yourself in a sage or something, but you must understand the impenetrable truth that true happiness comes from within a pure soul.

Now, let’s get to the point.

What You Need To Do

• Remember, this is the perfect moment to do what makes your soul happy.
  • Keep telling yourself that happiness looks gorgeous on you.
  • There is no need to rush. What is meant for you will always arrive on time.
  • If you want to be happy, be.
  • Rewrite your story on how you want it to be.
  • Treat yourself like a friend. Be your own friend. When you are feeling negative about yourself, ask yourself what advice you’d give to a friend who is feeling down. Now try to apply that advice to you.
  • Quoting helps. Put motivational thoughts of your choice as wallpaper on your phone or in your room.
  • Don’t try to stop negative thoughts. Telling yourself “I have to stop thinking about this” only makes you think more about it. Instead, own your worries. When you are in a negative cycle, acknowledge it: “I’m worrying about money,” “I’m obsessing about problems at work.” And try to solve the issue by yourself.
  • Get Moving. When people get up and move even a little, they tend to be happier than when they are still.
  • Challenge your negative thoughts. Negative thinking happens to all of us, but by recognising and challenging that thinking, we take a big step toward a happier life.
  • Control your breathing. Science is just beginning to provide evidence that the benefits of this ancient practice are real. Studies have found, for example, that breathing practices can help reduce symptoms associated with anxiety, insomnia, post-traumatic stress disorder, depression and attention deficit disorder. For centuries, yogis have used breath control or pranayama to promote concentration and improve vitality. Buddha advocated breath-meditation as a way to reach enlightenment. Even the Bhagavad Gita has a verse about it.
  • Be calm and relax. Everything’s going to be okay, and it’s okay to not be okay.

Don’t think so much, smile and remember, everyone wants happiness and not pain, but there is no rainbow without a little rain. 

1. Ravindra Kumawat

Hey Harshita, you presented moral values of life very nicely. I like the way you are mentioning everything after analysing personal experiences. I totally agree with you that the meaning of happiness vary person to person. You have resolved the mystery of life by sharing ideas on problem solving. We should try to find solutions for any problem, rather than suppressing it. Thank you so much for sharing such kind of precious ideas. I hope you’ll keep sharing your interesting and Influencing experiences.

2. Shweta Anantharam

Good one!

More from Harshita Shinde

By La Ngọc Hưng

By Anushika Litoria

By Akilandeswari Sivaramakrishnan