This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Jitender Arora. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

What are the Pros and Cons of Wind Turbines?

With the change in global weather patterns and heat temperatures rising more than ever recorded in history, altering air pressure introduces newer airwave patterns. So why not put them to sustainable use to generate electricity? Following is a balanced argument regarding electricity production using wind turbines. 

Advantages of Wind Turbines

Renewable Source of Energy

Setting up wind power requires a large area of land. It is one of the cheapest ways to produce electricity due to the minimum setup cost. Moreover, the wind used to create electricity is free as well. The wind is not subjected to economic demand and supply rules.

Everyone uses electricity produced by wind turbines. It is beneficial for residents in the beach area or high mountainous areas where laying electricity cables is impossible. With the help of long-term financing, wind turbines can become a sustainable source of electricity for many areas.

Environmentally Friendly

Wind turbines do not pollute the air. Unlike coal-produced electricity, which produces harmful gasses, or nuclear energy, which is a danger itself, air turbines are entirely safe. Wind turbines do not emit any greenhouse gasses such as methane and carbon dioxide. Therefore, it will not result in acid rain or a misbalance in atmospheric content.

Wind turbines produce electricity using airwaves. These waves are created by a heated atmosphere with the sun’s heat, earth surface movement, and earth’s rotation on its axis. As long as the sun is shining and the earth is rotating on its axis, wind turbines will produce electricity using wind gusts.

Diversified Power Source

Wind turbines can produce electricity for framers, houses, and industries on a larger scale. Wind turbines are sometimes built on farms and ranches because of their open area. These turbines are installed separately from cultivated lands, so it does not disturb the farmers’ agricultural activities. Moreover, the landowners are sometimes paid a portion out of the earnings from wind turbines. Thus, it results in extra income. 

Landowners take the initiative to install a smaller and more manageable version of grand-scale wind turbines to reduce their utility bills provided by the national utility bidder.

Creates Employment Opportunities

Every innovative and power-generating project will result in job opportunities. However, from procuring the components of wind turbines to installing to wiring and connecting them to the national power source, it will require hiring manual labor, engineers, electricians, and other relevant labor force.

The landowners or farmers would also hire maintenance and repair services that provide additional employment. Thus, wind turbines are an effective economic tool to boost employment on a local or national scale. It is projected that the wind turbine industry will employ 600,000 jobs by 2050 against manufacturing, installing, and maintenance services. 

Boosts Economic Activity

Wind turbines are considered a source of generating other economic activities as well. Wind turbines on a large scale contribute electricity to the national grid. Installing wind turbines will result in the growth of small towns in its vicinity. The small town will give birth to local agricultural activities. In addition, roads and irrigation systems will be required too.

Economic activity boosts when a competent infrastructure network is introduced. In addition, the small town will promote local cuisine and culture. The low setup cost will definitely attract foreign investors, which will further contribute to economic activities.

Disadvantages of Wind Turbines

Land Procurement

Wind turbines cannot be erected on every flat land. They require sufficient and strong aerial gusts, which are only available at a certain altitude or alongside the coastal areas. Thus, it is not economically feasible to install wind turbines at every location. Sometimes, it is also challenging to procure private lands as owners may consider them a lineage heritage. 

Moreover, before installing the wind turbines, the contractor undertakes extensive research of the surrounding land, wind patterns, and topography. This is an extra cost to bear for the investor. The bitter reality is some areas may not be windy enough to produce cheap wind turbine-generated energy.

Installed in Remote Areas

Wind turbines are primarily required in desolated areas where electricity lines are not available. Therefore, transmission cables or electricity towers will have to be installed to provide electricity. Such an expense will significantly increase the price of the project.

However, laying down a few transmission lines may signal the residents in these remote areas that the government is considering providing sustainable power services. Wind turbine projects are always laid down in parts to modify and overcome challenges along the way.

Adversely Impacts Birds and Wildlife

The most significant potential drawback is the harm wind turbines bring to birds and aerial creatures. Birds have been known to fly by actively turning wind turbines and severely getting hurt. Sometimes they plummet to the rough ground underneath. 

Birds have been hurt by the wind turbines’ rotating blades. The researchers are developing to reduce the number of accidents. However, any change in wind turbine manufacturing will impact the amount of electricity it produces. Thus, it is easier said than done. Wind turbines impact the organisms’ lifecycle as well. The soil is uprooted that disturbs organisms underneath the soil. Wind turbines can sometimes ruin the habitual sustainability of the land. 

Wind Turbines are Not Profitable

Wind turbines may be cheap to install, but they will not generate enough revenue. The government usually finances wind turbines as public services. It is not meant to collect revenue or become profitable over time. Instead, wind turbines are subsidized by foreign aids to generate electricity for the local area or contribute to the national electricity grid.

Moreover, the government may choose to erect industrial zones on the same land as opportunity costs are too high. Industrial and economic zones will boost infrastructure, economic, and employment activities at a larger scale than installing wind turbines. Industrial zones will also increase tax revenue. The same cannot be said for wind turbines. 

The Final Thoughts

With more and more awareness regarding greener energy resources and people becoming environmentally conscious, wind turbines are gaining more popularity. However, they are still considered supplementary rather than the primary electricity source. 

More from Jitender Arora

By Yuvaniya

By Yuvaniya

By Rhino Gold Gel Reviews