This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Kamal Singh. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

9 Lesser Known Things You Could Do In Blue City Jodhpur

More from Kamal Singh

Jodhpur is one of the most popular cities in Rajasthan. From the visual bliss of blue, scattered houses to the mysterious sun, Jodhpur is more than just a metropolis. The untold, unheard stories of forts, temples and palaces will arouse our curiosity and hence, take us to this city amidst the natural beauty of the Thar Desert. To reach Jodhpur you can hire a taxi service in Jodhpur and go on to explore the city.

Jodhpur. Photo: Wikimedia Commons

Considering this Rajasthani city tourist destination, Jodhpur statistically ranks third on the list, the other two being Jaipur and Udaipur. However, this has not hindered its popularity and never will. Here are 10 offbeat things to do and places to visit in Rajasthan:

1. Stroll The Alleys

If you are in Jodhpur, diving yourself into the blues is a must. ‘Jodhpur Heritage Walks’ are run by many locals of Jodhpur, adding to all the stories of the city. Myths and history will be brought to the fore with every step you take as you walk through the city’s labyrinthine streets. Photography, food and conversation are the essence of a heritage walk and most can be taken with you to your hometown.

2. Crown Of Jodhpur

Referred to as the ‘Taj Mahal of Jodhpur’, Mehrangarh fort is one of the largest forts in India. The architecture is marked by intricate carvings and spacious courtyards.

The presence of thick walls is a proof of the ability of these walls to shield themselves. Built around 1459, the post-war results are still visible in the form of cannonballs fired at the ruling kingdom and later victory gates to celebrate all efforts.

The well-preserved museum of Mehrangarh also represents the culture and heritage of the Rathores.

3. Jodhpur, The Sun City

The sun rises in the east and sets in the west. This is a common generalization. However, what if we tell you that the sun’s favorite place is Jodhpur? In “Suryanagari” (city of the sun) or Jodhpur, the sun stays the longest in the world. The sun stays here for 8.30 hours a day, which justifies the use of blue color to keep the occupants of the house cool.

4. Top Of World

From great food to beautiful views and some music, take a break at Roottop Restaurant. Let go of your fatigue and start your two Jodhpur tour!

5. Holi At Ghanashyam Ji Mandir

While playing Holi in Mathura is considered one of your to-do list, Holi celebrations at Ghanshyam Ji Temple are very few and unknown to many. Unlike the Lathmar Holi that is played in Mathura, the festivities here are peaceful.

Holi is celebrated here throughout the month of Phagun and the main celebration is on Rang Panchami. Aisles of fragrant flowers and a splash of gulal, the sight of Holi mesmerizes you with the vibrancy and diversity of festivals here in India.

6. Brunch At Royal Choklao Bagh

Who doesn’t want to feel royal and important at least once in a lifetime? Choklao Bagh built in Mehrangarh Fort will make you crazy about royalty every time. The romanticism and the names of the food items along with the menu will make the experience even better.

7. Clock Tower

The clock tower is a popular and ancient landmark of the old city. The lively Sardar Market is adjacent to the tower. Narrow lanes and lanes lead to a market selling vegetables, spices, Indian sweets, textiles, silver and handicrafts. This is an excellent place to visit.

8. Visit Queens Land

It was common practice for the Maharaja’s wives, the Maharanis, to commission and sponsor water structures in Jodhpur. As history acknowledged the existence of women behind the veil and outside the court, the Maharani of Jodhpur received much more.

The queen had her own land holdings from which she collected income and had personal accountants within the fort who managed her finances. In this way the women of the Maharaja could get the art, architecture and even temples built. A powerful and mythological example of this is Gulab Rai’s creation of Gulab Sagar.

9. Toor Ji’s Jhalra

The original architecture of the stepwells in Jodhpur makes their existence valuable. Toor Ji ka Jhalra is a stepwell built by the queen of Maharaja Abhay Singh in the 1740s. It takes its name after the queen’s surname, which was Toor, which was derived from the Hindi word meaning tower. The first name was unknown as they were known either by their father’s name or by their husband’s name.

After reaching the Jodhpur railway station or Jodhpur airport, you can hire a taxi service in and go to explore Jodhpur.

Featured image credit: Wikimedia Commons/for representational purposes only.

More from Kamal Singh

By Godhuli Barat