This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Emily Michael. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

6 Ways to Stay Safe on College Campus

More from Emily Michael

collage

Many students plan to study from campus each year as they belong to other cities or states. But they need to be aware of how to stay safe on a college campus.

Yes! It is true no matter how much we try to escape an incident it will happen if we are destined for that. But if we can take measures then maybe it can be escaped or else the chances will be slim.

The more the world is evolving the more it is getting unsafe. So, to sustain in this world we need to take precautionary measures.

College campuses are said to be safe places, but that is quite a myth. No place is safe if you don’t ensure your safety.

You can’t be guarded by your elders all your life. So, take responsibility for your safety and you will be safe. When we learn something well, we don’t easily forget that.

Why is it necessary to be safe on a college campus?

College campus no doubt bears a lot of cautions but it also records crimes. There are rules and securities, but still not as safe as your home. Even your house can be invaded by thieves, so when you are out, make sure you maintain a safe boundary.

No security keeps a check on every moment of campus, so there are loopholes that frauds take up to harm others. Hence to ensure your safety do take safety measures and nobody will get the scope to harm you.

How to Stay Safe on College Campus?

Yes! It is not impossible to ensure safety if you make some conscious decisions to maintain a safe campus life. We don’t know the results but we still try to perform well in our exams. Likewise, try to ensure your safety, the rest is in your fate.

Lock your room

When we are habituated with campus life, we often get lazy and ignorant about our safety. We feel like it is our second home and nothing can harm us there.

But that is not true, campus premises are not safe to be blindly trusted. You need to ensure that you lock your room after you exit so for even a moment.

You tend to keep the doors open which can lead to severe issues. Make sure you lock your room no matter how many times you exit the room irrespective of the time length.

Even if you share your room with anyone be aware that he or she shouldn’t be so casual about life.

There are few room safety measures that you can ensure.

• Keep a safe lock in your room door
  • Don’t lend your keys to anyone except your roommate and make sure your roommate is also doing the same.
  • Keep a safe lock for your costly essentials.
  • Don’t wear too many costly pieces of jewelry.
  • Keep your costly devices in a secure place.
  • Ensure an eye hole on your door.
  • Be extra cautious at night.
  • Keep your ID proofs in a safe place.
  • Carry pepper spray in your bag.
  • Ensure check-in for guests.
  • Inform the warden whenever you notice anything unusual.

Do your homework

When you plan to study any course, you plan few campuses suitable for them. Make sure you research well about the records of crime on that campus.

Go through the reviews of the campus in detail and make sure that you choose wisely. Do take advice from an elder to ensure your decision is correct.

Before enrolling in the campus do give it a visit to check the campus and the locality. You can also ask the locals they provide the best review.

If you blindly enter a new campus you are inviting unknown danger to yourself.

Don’t roam about on a new campus

When we go to a new place, we are generally not aware of the surroundings and the safety related to the campus. So, it is better to not roam about alone.

If you want to explore the place make sure you roam with a decent gang of friends. When you are in a group it is quite difficult to harm anyone in particular.

Choose friends wisely

When we go to a new place, we feel stranded so we want to make friends as soon as possible. But make sure you don’t make friends in hurry.

If you make bad friends in hurry, you will end up losing something valuable of yourself be it materialistic or in values. Don’t make friends who want you to fit into their group, make friends who accept you the way you are and see the difference.

There are cases where bad friends or their friends harm you for minor reasons.  So, choose friends who can protect them as well as you too.

Be confident while talking and walking. If you are a distracted person you will be easily targeted for many crimes.

You will be blackmailed by your classmates only for big to small reasons. You need to show more confidence than you are actually.

It says, fakes it till you make it. This is appropriately suited here. Faking confidence will make you confident eventually.

This confidence can only make you escape many harmful eyes.

Don’t consume anything inebriating

If you consume something that snatches your consciousness then it will be pretty easy to rob or harm you. The state of intoxication is like inviting danger.

People may take the wrong advantage of your situation since you won’t be in a conscious state.

Don’t drink from anyone’s glass or what they offer. Be cautious and responsible for yourself. If you are preparing to join a medical school in the United States or any other college then you have to take some precautions to stay safe.

Make sure you don’t party so late that it gets unsafe for you to return to your room. If you use any cab don’t sit at the front sit always sit at the back. Don’t take an uber ride alone if it is not necessary.

If you stay outside till late then this will unnecessarily invite danger. Since you are not living with your near and dear ones you won’t know what is good and bad for sure.

So, make sure you have a secure life outside your house. You are not denied fun. You are just denied to stay unsafe.

Don’t blindly trust anyone to provide them the scope of ditching.

Privacy in social media

Maintain a private life on social media. Since you are living alone without your near family and relatives around, you are not as secure as that of your home.

So, don’t be available in the public. This will reveal a lot of details about you. Anyone can easily intervene in your life without permission.

They can take wrong steps to affect your life. So, make sure of the following regarding your social media safety.

• Make your social media accounts private and block the users that you will doesn’t concern your life.
  • Don’t showcase any private details of your room or the campus details.
  • Don’t showcase any compromising details.
  • Don’t be available to all.
  • Be a responsible user.
  • Don’t put up any photos of your valuables.

Trust your instinct

When we are unsure of any decision we always listen to our guts. If we strongly feel we should do something we go for it.

Most of the time these instincts are correct in assessing both the upcoming positives and negatives.

When you are not in your hometown, you have your instincts with you which can guide you well if you listen to them. But often we don’t pay much heed to that and do what we want to.

But then we do listen and wish we should have listened to it. Instincts guide us to understand who is wrong and who is right.

If you learn to understand your instincts then you will easily escape any difficult situation or person that can lead you to danger.

Other measures which you can take,

• Use ATMs within the campus in case of your transactions.
  • Escape night out when you are in an unknown place.
  • Inform someone trustworthy of your whereabouts. So that the person will know whether you are safe or not.
  • Check the uber details with the application along with the face of the driver. Skipping a single detail can lead to severe consequences.
  • Be conscious of the crime rates.
  • Develop a defending skill if possible before getting into any campus. You don’t need to be a professional but a basic practice will do.
  • Don’t chatter much with unknown
  • Listen to your parents or guardian, it matters when you are out of their sight don’t ignore them.
  • Don’t use headphones while you are in public. It may seem cool but it is unsafe.

Conclusion

Prevention is better than cure. This phrase is suitable in this case.it depends on us, how many safety precautions we are taking best collection in mothercareworld.com.

The medical students know how to stay safe on college campuses, they just have to take these measures to have a happy and eventful college life without any fear. The decisions we make in life land us in possible situations that we get into.

More from Emily Michael

By Uttakarsh Chaurasia

By dtrimketoul

By dtrimketoul