This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Godhuli Barat. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Joe Biden’s Pro-Choice Stance And His Catholic Background

More from Godhuli Barat

Although Christianity is often considered a religion, it is not. The truth is the followers of Jesus Christ were first referred to as “Christians” by the Gentiles of Syrian Antioch. (Read Acts 11:26)

Believers in Christ came to be called “Christians” during a time of rapid expansion in the church. According to Got Questions both, the Bible and history suggest that the term Christian was probably meant as a mocking insult when it was first coined.

I am a Christian and I am certain that Jesus Christ is not about religion, but about relationships. Interestingly, we live in a world that is divided into vast denominations. According to the Bible, while disagreeing is healthy, judging is certainly unhealthy.

The abortion debate in the United States has been one of the most saddening global news stories in recent months. With Biden’s support for abortion policies and gay rights, this heated debate between bishops and the president has taken a new turn.

Joe Biden stood up for gay rights and abortion.

US President Joe Biden is the nation’s first Catholic President in more than 60 years, grew up hearing that John F. Kennedy could never win. Biden has seen politics through the eyes of God and keeping his faith life alive. However, it is true the United States has been violating God’s Law to keep the trend.

As the debate sparks row, a passage from Bible’s Old Testament says about abortion: Exodus 21:22–23:

If people are fighting and hit a pregnant woman and she gives birth prematurely but there is no serious injury, the offender must be fined whatever the woman’s husband demands and the court allows. But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life . . .

In the New Testament, Jesus Christ speaks about marriage. His commands clarify that ‘marriage is all about one flesh’. Since the Bible has never directly talked about abortions but has repeatedly talked about issues that affect women such as menstruation, rape, etc. However, through different Biblical scriptures God has given clarity about abortions like Jeremiah 1:5 tells us that God knows us before He forms us in the womb. Psalm 139:13-16 speaks of God’s active role in our creation and formation in the womb.

I find it tragic that the US President is being judged for his stand. While, Mathew 7: “Do not judge, or you too will be judged.”

As the USA’s population increases, abortions are on the rise. Biden’s stand from the lens of a politician is correct as every woman has a story. 

There are many reasons why women choose to abort their children, including prostitution and personal affairs. Both Biden and I are Christians, so neither of us can pass judgment. 

The life of Joe Biden has had many painful moments, like the fatal car accident in 1972 in which his first wife, Neilia, and daughter Naomi died and Beau’s brain tumor in 2015. Through all his hardships, he has become a strong warrior.

This is not the end of the story. Biden has been prohibited from taking Holy Communion because of his public views on issues such as abortions and gay rights. A Christian’s most faithful ritual is Holy Communion. As part of the Communion service, we remember Lord Jesus Christ’s death and his sacrifice for the world.

TIME magazine quotes: According to a church official, many bishops were concerned about the confusion that could be caused among Catholics when prominent politicians support abortion policies and continue to take Communion. Catholic teaching instructs that during the Eucharist, a mystery occurs and the bread and wine become the body and blood of Jesus, bringing the worshipper in the presence of Christ.

Being a Christian, judging others is one of the biggest sins and I believe at this point rather than demeaning Biden in his faith life, it is more effective to build him so that his soul has the peace to fight the enemies around him. Relationship with Jesus is one of the beautiful characteristics of being a ‘Christ-centered person. Let’s spread the love! Jesus’ sacrificial love gives hope to a dark world. We should all know that Christ loves everyone as GOD did not show favoritism. (Rom 2:11)

This article is based on extensive research and my biblical understanding of following Jesus for the rest of my life. Grace

More from Godhuli Barat

By Ronit Shakya

By SGT University