This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Emily Michael. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

8 Ways In Which Social Media Can Help You Maintain Your Mental Health

More from Emily Michael

Yes, you heard it right. Social media can help you improve your mental health. Unbelievable, isn’t it? But social media can truly guide you on how to improve mental health. Mental health is a concerning topic nowadays and social media can aid in the betterment of mental health. Social media is what is guiding our lives majorly for the last decade. We are mostly said that social media negatively impacts our lives.

But every coin has two sides to it, and so does social media. Social media both affects and benefits our lives. It is basically the way we decide to use it. Since social media is such a widespread and useful medium, why not use it in productive means!

Why Is Social Media Linked To Mental Health?

Social medical plays a vital role in building our lives for the better. So, for the same reason, we need social media to uplift our mood, acquire information as well as stay connected. They are a lot of facets that prove the vitality of social media in improving our mental health.

soical network

How Can Social Media Improve Mental Health?

It depends upon the users and how they want to regulate the use of social media. The users determine their growth in mental health due to social media. The following are some ways to improve mental health through the use of social media:

Staying Connected

We stay busy all day with our respective work. But as soon as we get spare time, we can spend that with our virtually connected relatives or friends. This will help us release the day’s stress. We can exchange information and have a nice time chatting with them. It is fun to laugh with your near ones.

Talking to someone you love gives pleasure to your soul and ensures their mental well-being. This also releases the day’s stress. But make sure you don’t talk to anyone who stresses you further. You have to be selective in choosing whose company helps you relieve your stress. When you feel lonely or stressed, it is better to do a Face Time with your favourite person. This will help you with your mental well-being.

Online Learning

Social media allows you to attend seminars and online courses that will help you stay productive and motivated, which highly improves mental health. When you attend seminars, you learn a lot of things in the concerning subject. Thus, it makes you happy and confident for future prospects.

Learning always motivates us to stay happy and content. This is directly connected to our mental well-being.

Develop Connectivity

When we meet new people virtually, we learn new information and develop our perspectives. We may get acquainted with someone who becomes a good friend or a guide who and positively motivates our mental being. But there can be a lot of fake people out there whom we must stay away from. It is not like you should trust each one who comes your way.

If you develop good connectivity through social media, then that can also aid you in certain things that you otherwise can’t see coming your way. When we interact with unknown people, we don’t really judge them. So, it is better to talk to them without being judged. You also get fair feedback, which may improve your mental health.

Inspiration To Stay Healthy

Social media inspires us a lot in staying healthy and fit. We often feel lazy to exercise and eat healthily. But when we follow the right people and get influenced by them virtually, we get charged up to stay healthy as well. A healthy body imparts a healthy mind. When we exercise, our body produces happy hormones and also keeps us fit. Also, if we avoid certain kinds of food that affect our health, it will complement the exercise we are doing. This will surely result in a happy and healthy mental state.

Be Kind

When you spread positivity through social media, you receive it in double. This boosts your mental health. Positivity attracts improved mental health. When you hear positive comments from an unbiased audience, it fills you up with confidence about your capabilities. Make sure you avoid the unnecessary, disturbing people on social media. Don’t entertain them or it will take a toll on you. Make sure your account details are secured.

Building Self-Esteem

We often express ourselves much easily on social media platforms than in the real world. Being able to openly express ourselves improves our confidence and results in better mental health. Productivity plays a major role in improving mental health. If our self-esteem keeps growing, we become confident and satisfied.

Content Consumption

When we consume content to uplift our mood, it brings happiness to our souls. Social media can be used to consume preferred content to have relaxation at the end of the day. You can watch movies, series or short videos to relax your mind. This helps in producing happy hormones while improving your mental health. You can even stay updated by subscribing to your favourite website and receive notifications.

Productive Outcome

Nowadays, there are numerous channels, pages and accounts available to cater for your talents. This makes you happy while you present them through social media. Many homemakers as well as working women use these platforms for their growth. If you are preparing to join a medical school, then you have pages such as USMLE Step 1 class and Step 2 CK review course to prepare from.

This is not only a per time job but a full-time job to many. Social media plays a vital role in their earning. They are employed through social media that gives them a boost in their career. When you are productive, you become happy and satisfied. This also improves your mental health.

You get a lot of motivation from the likes and comments you receive through social media. The positivity in the likes and comments also makes you realise your worth.

Conclusion

Our mind wants nothing but a serene place to be in. It wants to be happy, positive and productive in order to stay healthy. Social media is such a widespread circle where you can easily improve your mental being. The guide on how to improve mental health is within your capacity. You just need to discover how it works for you.

More from Emily Michael

By Anusha S

By Charkha Features

By Olipriya