This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Ananya Bhuyan. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Grow These Indoor Plants At Home To Breathe Purified Air

More from Ananya Bhuyan

To breathe fresh and clean air is a fundamental right. Now, the availability of an air-purifying plant for bedrooms is cost-effective because it removes toxins and permits us to breathe fresh air. Especially in cities, we rarely ever get to breathe clean air, so the solution is to invest in air purifying indoor plants.

Why indoor plants for clean air? Because according to research by NASA, air-purifying plants detoxify your home by removing toxins, dust, and germs found in household products, appliances and furniture. An indoor plant that is good for clean air will lower the CO2 level and increase relative humidity. Thus, indoor plants are the highest oxygen-producing plants that are readily available as indoor air purifiers for homes.

In other words, purifying plants remove toxins in the air and act as a natural tailor, preventing or reducing irritation in your eyes, nose, throat and lungs. NASA’s research shows that we will need around 10 plants per square foot to positively impact the quality of surrounding air. NASA-recommended plants help to improve the productiveness of the environment.

If you are looking for the best indoor plants, here are a few air purifying plants to give you a little love.

1. Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum Wallisii)

The Lily plant (also known as a Spathiphyllum wallisii) is one of the most popular houseplants. NASA discovered that peace lilies are among the top plants for air purification that removing common household toxins. They also eliminate harmful radiation and are considered the best oxygen-producing indoor plant. They give a sophisticated look to the interiors when placed in the corner of a room, table or shelf. The plant of peace lily indicates peace, love, hope, purity and prosperity.

Plant care: You need to keep the soil moist but not wet.

2. English Ivy (Hedera Helix)

English Ivy (also called Hedera helix) effectively catches faecal-based particles in the air and mould spores. It can help relieve airways and reduce coughing. This plant is helpful for people with asthma, bronchitis, allergies and COPD. NASA recommended this plant to be one of the most effective purifying plants that remove toxins from the air.

Plant care: Keep it at a constant temperature, give it plenty of direct sunlight.

3. Snake Plant (Sansevieria Trifasciata)

Sanke plant (also Sansevieria trifasciata) is one of the hardiest indoor plants for fresh air that does not require sunlight or frequent watering. Otherwise known as Mother-in-law’s Tongue, it is a succulent plant that can grow up to two meters in height and gives a tropical look to a corner of a room. It is one of the best plants that clean the air by filtering harmful substances such as xylene, benzene, formaldehyde, toluene and trichloroethylene.

Plant care: Avoid overwatering and keep in indirect sunlight.

4. Money Plant (Epipremnum Aureum)

Money plant (also Epipremnum aureum) is considered the most common indoor plant that gives oxygen. The growing of money plants in the house brings happiness and positive energy. It is also excellent in terms of interior decoration. A money plant not only grows wealth but also brings sweetness to relationships. According to NASA, the money plant is renowned for removing nasty chemicals from the air.

Plant care: Keep it in medium to bright indirect light, deep but infrequent watering.

5. Areca Palm (Dypsis Lutescens)

Areca palm (also Areca palm) is designed for organisms to absorb carbon dioxide and release oxygen, just like all the other plants. However, it also removes dangerous chemicals from the environment and observes it as one of the best indoor plants as an air purifier. This plant is considered lucky as it brings wealth, peace and prosperity to the house. It pushes out negative energy and attracts positive ones. It can bring beauty to your home by giving it an elegant look.

Plant care: Water them often enough to keep the soil slightly moist in spring and summer.

6. Boston Fern (Nephrolepis Exaltata)

The Boston fern (also Nephrolepis exaltata) is considered one of the best indoor air purifying plants. This plant improves the humidity and restores moisture. It also offers health benefits to those who suffer from dry skin, irritably dry noses or throats. This lush and frilly beauty is the single most effective plant at cleansing the air of formaldehyde, toluene, xylene, airborne germs and bacterias from the home air.

Plant care: It enjoys weekly watering sessions, keep the soil moist but not wet.

7. Spider Plant (Chlorophytum Comosum)

The resilient spider plant (also Chlorophytum comosum) is excellent for keeping as a beginner’s houseplant. It is quite non-demanding and easy-to-care-for; it silently fights against common environmental toxins including carbon monoxide and xylene. NASA has recommended this plant among the top three types of plants that effectively remove carbon monoxide, formaldehyde and other toxins or pollutants.

Plant care: Water your spider plants two or three times a week.

8. Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis Miller)

Aloe vera is an effective and indoor air freshener plant. This delicious plant cleans the air with formaldehyde and benzene, and has fantastic healing properties. The gel inside its leaves is rich in vitamins, enzymes, amino acids and other compounds that contain wound healing, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. To use the healing power of this plant, cut off the leaf, open it and rub the inside of the leaves to the affected area for immediate relief.

Plant care: Keep your plant in indirect sunlight, deep watering but infrequently.

9. Gerbera Daisy (Gerbera Jamesonii)

Gerbera daisy is the common name of Barberton daisy, which is an oxygen-producing indoor plant. However, it can produce high oxygen levels at night while removing harmful chemicals such as trichloroethylene and benzene. It is favorable for those suffering from sleep apnoea and breathing problems; keep this on the nightstand for better sleep.

Plant care: Water regularly to keep the soil moist.

10. Rubber Plant (Ficus Elastica)

Rubber plant (also Ficus robusta) is an oxygen purifier plant that demands less maintenance. NASA recommends that its large leaves absorb chemicals by breaking down airborne. It absorbs exhaled carbon dioxide and converts it into oxygen. It also eliminates bacteria and mold spores in the air used to treat skin issues like skin rashes. Thus, it has natural anti-inflammatory properties.

Plant care: Rubber plants handle under-watering better than over-watering.

More from Ananya Bhuyan

By Maria Khanam

By Satyaprakash

By Connecting Dreams Foundation CDF