This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Matthew Giannelis. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Are We Truly Valuing The Technology We Have At Our Disposal?

More from Matthew Giannelis

Understanding the value of technology is one of the biggest challenges facing an organization today. To effectively assess the value of technology within an organization, business leaders must separate the importance of technology from the other elements (e.g., process, organizational, and interpersonal) that are a part of an IT strategy. They must devise a comprehensive holistic value that includes all the different measures that go into evaluating the metrics of many disparate groups of C-suite representatives. Doing so helps them understand the true value of technology and how it relates to the business and its future to strengthen the company’s bottom line.

people in office using computer
Representational Image. Information technology is an important part of collective growth.

Thinking About The Value

When thinking about the value of technology, leaders must first consider the individual contributor(s) to the value stream. They need to identify what technologies that they use regularly and how those technologies impact their lives and the business. For executives who spend a large portion of their time at work, this may require a review of time cards and expense reports to identify which technologies may be stretched beyond what they are currently used to evaluate the value of technology usage. Some examples may be things like web browser software, electronic mail, Word processing applications, instant messaging, file systems, or other technologies. The value of these technologies will vary depending on the business but will typically include things like better productivity, efficiency, and cost savings.

Asking workers for examples of technologies they use often shows the value of information technology can be separated from the way workers learn about new technologies. Workers may know that they should learn about new technologies, but they do not necessarily learn about these technologies in the workplace. Assessing the ways technology is used in the workplace shows the value of information technology and how it can be leveraged to improve productivity.

Tech Business News reported the US technology industry market is worth an estimated $1.6 trillion. The tech industry is expected to reach a $5 trillion market value before the end of 2021. Approximately 71% of all consumers consider texting to businesses is the most effective form of communication. 68% of the technology industry employees in the US are Caucasian

Education

Teachers have a unique opportunity to share a vision about technology. Many teachers have an interest in using new technologies or teaching about technology. When they start to incorporate new technologies in their classrooms, they can create a shared vision about how technology can benefit students. The value of teachers sharing a shared vision is that when teachers take time to learn about new technologies and how they will be used, they are more likely to incorporate this into their classrooms and use it in a way that benefits students. In turn, students are more likely to use technologies that teachers are familiar with.

Technology Integration 

Technology integration means that teachers must plan to implement a certain number of new technologies during their school year. This is because each school district has a designated budget for technology usage. However, integrated technology planning means that a certain amount of new technologies will be adopted throughout the year. The value of integrating new technologies into the classroom is that it makes it easier for teachers to teach new technologies during the year without worry about spending too much money or resources.

Integrating educational technology with the other tools students need to succeed can be difficult for some teachers. But as many experts recommend, a good teacher should strive to build on digital skills and adopt new educational technology.

There are a lot of benefits to implementing a value-added approach to technology use. These include the creation of social relationships, the development of economic advantage through technology adoption, and the practice of technical competence. Here are some additional reasons why value-added practices are important for integrating technological aspects into the classroom:

Educators can also practice value-added practices by making their classrooms technologically competent. They can build on digital skills by integrating a good teacher on the technology team. A good teacher who is also a digital leader will make it easier for his or her students to adapt to the technology and take advantage of the economic benefits that will be brought about through its use.

More from Matthew Giannelis

By Taushif Patel

By Arafat Hossain