This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by justin mathew. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

How The Government, Opposition And Media Have Failed Indian Citizens

Having extreme FOMO (fear of missing out) due to my political interests since the last seven years, I wanted to know every bit of what was happening in the political world.

One day, I found myself watching one a YouTube video on Scoopwhoop Unscripted’s channel. I pondered whether India will ever be able to experience the so-called “achhe din (good days), a term coined by the current government to reflect how it was planning to change our lives (I wish I could say, for the better).

As India continued to battle against the Covid-19 pandemic, here I was, ready to cover my eyeballs, not wanting to see what I chose to see. The video covered the elections and this particular one was taking place in West Bengal.

From the massive rallies (which looked like they had the whole population of Bengal there) to the ministers and leaders addressing these rallies, as if everything was just perfect in the world—all of it was nothing less than a big blunder.

The Current Government Has Failed Us

Someone rightly said that everyday is a new day and this is truly applicable in our country, as every single day, we get to see, hear and breathe (and of course, experience) different political mishaps. We get to see the manhandling of decisions by our truly beloved political leaders.

This is just one of the billions (just like our population!) of examples. It is nothing less than a universal truth now that India desperately needs better leaders. The current government has proved, time and again, that it is extremely incapable of taking responsibilities on its very delicate shoulders.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Youth Ki Awaaz (@youthkiawaaz)

From implementing decisions and laws without adequate consultation with the relevant stakeholders, to discrediting any form of protest (which does not serve their political interests, obviously), against those very laws—the government has given a clear indication that it is not here to serve, but to be served.

Not only this, but today, all we can see is a very tedious and extremely unwanted panel of people masked as so-called experts, on almost every news channel. They give their not-so-expert opinions during undesirable debates and discussions. A majority of them (including the anchors), jump in to defend every move of the government.

News Channels Carry Out Biased Reporting

The news channels have taken it upon themselves to carry on the legacy of soaps, intriguing the consumers with aunwanted drama and suspense. Perhaps, all they should do for now, is just doing us all a big favour, by sticking to giving the actual news and not turning themselves into a joke altogether.

It is, thus, safe to say that journalism (just like the women in our country) is no longer safe. Also, the common man’s voice is very easily dismissed these days, indicating a very clear sign of democracy being in danger.

It just seems like all the government is left to do is give a certificate of nationalism to each individual. Topping all of this is the uneducated and primitive mindsets of these so-called leaders. Majority of them do not even have an authentic degree or certificate to prove that they have ever been to a school, let alone a college.

This is, however, not just the case with the current government, but almost every minister and leader across all the political parties. One may argue that the opposition is also not far behind in all of this.

Political Leaders Have Ulterior Motives

The opposition is supposed to be that pillar of democracy which should come to our rescue (just like the hero in a typical Bollywood movie), when we have nowhere else to go. The opposition, created and meant to secure the positions of its citizens, instead comes to the forefront as and when it deems necessary and convenient.

It makes an entry at the peak time, by making a cameo, to grab all the unwanted attention to itself, just to prove that it the only messiah left for the common man. But what it does, in this entire process, is take away the light from the movement or cause itself, leaving us stuck in the middle of the road and nowhere to go.

Can we ever imagine of having that day, where our leaders can literally take the country to new heights, not by the blood and sweat of its own citizens, but by actually empowering them and giving them better lives, not just mere hopes to lean on?

For this to come true, India first needs to save itself from these political leaders, masked as demons, always ready to pounce at us for their own ulterior motives.

Maybe then we can truly have achhe din!

Featured image is for representational purposes only.

More from justin mathew

By KETAKEE

By Abhishek Prakash

By Susmita Monali