This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Geetika Bakshi. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

I didn’t learn lessons of savings in my mother’s womb.

More from Geetika Bakshi

First job, special for everyone. Family like mine, job is an extremely high achievement be it a BPO. Yes, my first job was in BPO, but salary was bit high others as I was working there as a French speaking Customer care executive. Far from good, have you ever seen someone so desperate to enjoy his/her life. Papa was a government servant, not earning a handsome salary but enough to fulfil our meagre needs. In his salary I learnt the difference between demand and needs!

It was some nine years back. God’s swear if the way I invest now, I would have at least 10 lakhs in my savings. As my experiences taught me saving in compounding. I’ll tell everything in detail.

First of all, I am no commerce graduate or accounts background that I would know how these things should be done. I am my own teacher. Though took commerce with maths in 12th and then switched to English (HONS). as you can see I’m writing so how bad would be my practical. Jokes apart!

I was standing at Pantaloons before my first salary got credited and my first shopping bill was 11,700/-. You could imagine the spark and tashan of paying that bill.

Ma’am cash or card?

Card Bhaiya, the way I gave the card was amazing!

That day wasn’t the first. My dad never allowed me going out with friends on trips so, until he allowed me I satisfied myself with clothes and shoes. Never had urge of accessories. South-Ex was my favourite spot.

Brands I never seen when Papa used to shop for me. Each moth one expensive thing and few cheap. Hence, this is actually in my blood.

“Never put all your eggs in one basket”.

The scenario rolls till two years, I got job in a school as a French language teacher. I asked for my “first ever trip”. As papa thinks teachers hai ache ladkiya hongi. He allowed me for my first trip. That trip was every kharcha would split. So, off season, chose destination offering huge discounts and books my first 5 star property. Another milestone. Khud ki kamai and 5 star stay. Nothing beats that!

Time goes and my habit never changed. Just after enjoying I decided to make my parents also happy. When they asked to get married, my point was first I’ll invest in me.

First car, good clothes, good food, shopping but if sometimes I have 50,000 in my accounts it seems I am the richest woman on the planet until it’s spent! After satisfying myself I started spending on my parents. dInner in 5 stars as mother once said “I never saw a 5 star hotel”. Short 1 day trips, long drives, making memories.

Month end and “karki” old friends but I never asked a single penny from parents since I started earning.

Like any Gen X or Y I had a serious fight with Dad in which momma also supported dad. All alone, I switched the job. Due to impulsive nature I didn’t serve notice period hence surrender 1 month salary. Now, how will you survive was the question but ego is too high.

“Ego” is a three letter word which overtakes the 12 letter word “Relationship”.  I didn’t ask. Now, was the time god thought of giving me the lesson of my life. My exam date came. I had to travel to Chandigarh for the same. I always kept few lessons from dad in mind.

Never borrow money. Borrowing is additive at times.

I had 3500/- in my account. Out of which I booked RED Bus for 500 Rs. And due to new job I could not catch the same and had to another for 700/- after that I was left with 2,300/- only. 900 Rs on the spot OYO. Rs. 1400/- left. There, dinner, breakfast, lunch, coffee etc. which I tried least possible expense. Had 900 left. 500, booked bus for return, left with 400 and still have 1 week left for salary to come. I had thoughts like many what ifs? From accident to medical emergency, from safety to what not?

I decided to block a certain amount of monthly salary which can be used in situation like these, but experiences are really important. I wanted to double my money and opened Demat account and bought shared for 11500/- which due to no knowledge to withdrew 7500/-. God at the right time, else this would have gone too!

Then I found SIPs. I started monthly 2500 for 1 year which later I made it for 4000 by putting small amount of 500 and 1000 in different funds for next 1 year. By the end of second year I had 78,000 plus interest, from which I started an annual investment of 30,000 separately and 5,000 monthly separately. The yearly one is money back in compounding in itself. Few funds are tax savings. Now after marriage if I get few notes from somewhere I too use my mothers trick in hiding it in secretive places.

So from zero to in next four years I have money which doesn’t pinch me and it is just I didn’t spent it recklessly.

It’s evident I didn’t learn lessons of savings from my mother’s womb!

More from Geetika Bakshi

By Zahid Azeem

By sweekriti sethi

By Naina Agarwal