This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Rather Abid. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

It’s Time India, Pakistan And Bangladesh Reconcile For Development

More from Rather Abid

Whenever we have a look at the world map, we observe that there is a broad and extensive piece of land between the Arabian sea and the Bay of Bengal in the continent of Asia, which is largely extended on the northern side. But as we start moving downward, this piece of land gets narrow till it ends in the Indian Ocean.

If there would not have been political boundaries of different colours between different political regions on the map, then the three contrariant countries of this region would look like a great single country. Perhaps this is why geographers have named this region a subcontinent and common people recognise this region by the names of three countries — India, Pakistan and Bangladesh.

Generally, this piece of land has uniformity in its topography and climate, so it is classified as one geographical region. Accordingly, different problems and issues of this region can be solved only by considering the whole region. One part of this region is largely dependent on the other for the different needs of its population. No part of this region can progress or develop separately without cooperation with other parts.

Long before, this whole region was politically known as India, but over time, it got separated into three separate countries due to many socio-cultural, political and religious reasons.

There are healthy and hardworking people in one part of this sub-continent known as Pakistan. It has enough rare resources of natural gas and large fields for cereal production.

The second part of this sub-continent, India, is famous for its large geographical extent, production of different mineral resources and its associated industries and is diverse and colourful.

The third part, which is politically named Bangladesh, has one of the world’s best irrigation systems, resulting in enormous jute production, giving it the name of “Golden Country”.

india pakistan and bangladesh flags
Artificial political boundaries and inter rivalry have restricted the region’s development. (Representational image)

Though politically, these three parts of the subcontinent are three separate counties, cumulatively, this region is bestowed with enormous natural resources. The region has capabilities from producing different raw materials for the whole world to atom bombs and intercontinental missile manufacturing technologies.

But the artificial political boundaries and their inter rivalry have restricted this region’s production capabilities and ceased its development.

When the whole world is becoming a single entity in the form of a global village in the present era of science and technology and the waves of globalisation have turned the political boundaries as meaningless entities, this part of the world still portrays inter rivalry between the nations.

These countries have restricted and banned their inter-trade, inter-transport system and have become vehement political rivals. Antipathetically, their interrelations worsen with every passing day despite developing a peaceful environment for solving inter political issues.

These countries have already wasted 75 years of the 19th and 20th centuries in mutual rivalry and contretemps, which has crippled their economic growth due to wastage and mismanagement of their natural resources. But the political leaders of these countries are still playing the game of dirty politics for their personal interests and take no heed for the welfare of their common masses, which has increased hostility between these nations.

The world’s geopolitical scenario has changed swiftly in this long period. The rivals of yesterday have become the friends of today. Different colonial states have achieved freedom from the clutches of colonialism and dictatorship and become democratic countries. Eastern and Western Germany have forgotten their rivalry and became one nation by burying the wall of Berlin under the ground, which was once a symbol of division in Europe.

Other countries of Europe have also come close by understanding the power of cooperation. Two great wars of the 20th century were fought in Europe and its worst effects were experienced in the countries of Asia and Africa. But the scenario has changed in European countries and now there is a peaceful environment in Europe with no expectation of future wars.

But Asia and Africa are still lagging and have become the battlefields where human bloodshed and violence has become a routine.

Our subcontinent is a part of Asia where many frontier wars have already been fought, resulting in great human and economic losses. India and Pakistan have already achieved nuclear power and have mighty armies and ammunition strength. Thus, a future war between these countries will be a vivid implication of human destruction and devastation in this region.

Western nations have engaged these countries in warfare for a long time for their self-interest and growth of their arms and ammunition market, which has ceased the economic growth of this subcontinent. Thus, it is high time that leaders of these countries solve their political disputes in a friendly manner by creating an atmosphere for peaceful talks.

Though the political boundaries in the fragmented subcontinent cannot be erased so that the three countries may once again become one, the three nations should live in harmony and cooperation with each other for the economic and social welfare of the common people.

The author is an official member of JKIFTS columnists council and can be reached at rather1294@gmail.com.

More from Rather Abid

By Mridul Upadhyay

By Rana Ashish Singh