This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Shama Merchant. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

What Is A More Important Expression In Love, Words Or Touch?

More from Shama Merchant

Love, a very sweet and warm feeling. It increases the heartbeat, keeps a smile tattooed on the face and you automatically like everything around you. Love can be witnessed in varied forms and colours, like the rainbow. A relationship is built on trust and liking, but eventually, when it proceeds towards love, the bonding becomes stronger.

Every relationship is hungry for love. Whether it is for parents, between spouses, or for siblings and friends. With love comes respect and acceptance. Loving is not a big deal, it happens to everyone all the time. But how you express love is extremely important. The eyes of the heart are words and touch. Which is more important — words… or touch? I believe that in different situations, words and touch have different requirements. Let me clarify my point with two small anecdotes.

1. Eight years old Kabir lowered his head and listened to his father’s angry rebuke.

His father looked up from the report card,

“Even after studying for four days, you produce this kind of result !! Have you seen the marks in Mathematics? You haven’t failed, but so low? It’s less than half. I’m not going to sign it.”

Father flung the report card on the coffee table and stomped inside.

Kabir’s eyes were filled with tears. He went into the kitchen and stood by the door, shaking. His mother had heard everything. She knew he would come to her any time now. When Kabir raised his eyes and looked at his mother, she had crouched down to his level with both her arms spread out, ready to hug him. Kabir’s tears welled up and he embraced his mother firmly.

“I’m sorry, mummy.”

Mother rubbed his back and said lovingly,

“Shh… it’s alright. Next time, work harder.”

A ton of bricks lifted from his shoulder and he began to feel lighter. His mother’s soothing touch always made him feel calm and happy.

(2) Roshan had been glancing at the clock every five minutes for the last one hour.

Finally, his anxious restlessness found peace when Muskan entered the party. A glimpse of her and he felt all warm and fuzzy inside. Two years down the line, she still looked so beautiful.

For the past two years, they had communicated only through letters. Despite loving her immensely, neither did Roshan make any commitment to her nor did he ask her for any kind of promises. How could he? He himself wasn’t sure if he’d come back alive from the war. Nonetheless, seeing her today in this victory celebration, a new hope awakened in his heart. But at the same time, he was filled with a lot of fear.

In love, words and touch, both are necessary and incomplete without each other.

When Muskan’s eyes fell on Roshan, their smiles mirrored each other’s. Moreover, their vision stayed cemented on one another till the time Muskan came and stood in front of him. Roshan was dying to pull her in his arms. But countless questions and apprehensions stopped him from doing so. Was she involved with someone? Was she married already?

“Hi Roshan.”

Roshan took a deep breath,

“Hi. You’re looking beautiful.”

A touch of pink shimmered her cheeks as she blushed.

“Thank you. Congratulations and welcome back.”

“Thank you.”

The question was at the tip of his tongue, but how should he ask? Seeing Roshan’s hesitation, Muskan understood. She came closer, gently took his hand in hers and smiled. She looked into his eyes and said softly,

“Roshan, I was waiting for you.”

His heart began dancing in his chest and his entire face was engulfed in a regaled smile. Without a care of their surroundings, he simply pulled her in his arms and locked her in his loving and affectionate embrace.

Just a few simple words, completed Roshan and his life.

More from Shama Merchant

By AZZAD

By Priyanka

By Ajay Amitabh Suman