This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Sheikh. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Adell Kimbrough: Using His Days to Serve the World

More from Sheikh

A few minutes with Adell Kimbrough reveals a man driven to succeed in everything he does, including serving the world. “I am relentless and ambitious,” he says with a laugh. “I just don’t believe there is anything I can’t do if I really want to do it.” 

Adell has used this mentality to become an in-demand motivational speaker, author, private pilot and president of Prophetic World Group, He works to help a wide variety of people, including pastors in the mission field, adults who feel lost and without purpose and school kids who are experiencing bullying and other crises.

“I had what people call an ‘aha’ moment out in the middle of Guatemala in 2016,” he says, smiling at the memory. “It was such a beautiful place, and we were parked on a remote landing strip. I saw how vital piloting skills are in such a place, where commercial planes couldn’t land, and I knew I wanted to become a private pilot so that I could help on future mission trips. So, I went home, did some research, signed up for lessons, and got started on my own license. Eventually, I want to have my own private charter for pastors. Now that will be exciting, don’t you think?”

Adell wrote a book, From Passengers to Pilots, that combines his knowledge of planes with his belief that everyone should take charge of their life. He sees a connection between where people fly on airplanes and how we journey through life. “Whether you are a passenger or a pilot determines how you go through life,” Adell explains. “Are you riding in the cabin or in the cockpit? Too many of us settle because we don’t know if we possess the wherewithal to even be a pilot. All that separates you from what you want is a choice to go after it. It’s why some people go after their dreams while too many others give up on them. I ultimately want the world to stop settling for mediocrity.”  Adell has also written other books that explore the treasures people can find in themselves when they look to God.

When not writing, Adell is running Prophetic World Group, which is based in Miami. It includes a church, college scholarships for kids in smaller cities and poorer communities, and leadership programs in schools. “One of the things I like most about this,” he says, “is that I get to use my public speaking skills. I travel across the country, teaching students about nonviolence and sex-abstinence. I also teach them about what real leadership looks like.” He is passionate about ending bullying in schools and tries to show each student he meets how special they are. He believes in shaping the next generation to be peaceful and respectful of others.

When he isn’t traveling, Adell is at Prophetic World Group’s church in Detroit, Michigan. “In addition to our services, we offer spiritual advising to celebrities and high profile clients. Mental stability and positivity are key for us to operate at the highest level of creation,” Adell believes.

The pandemic, which has hurt a lot of churches, unfortunately, has not negatively impacted Prophetic World Group. “The pandemic meant that our church could not hold in-person services, of course, so we pivoted and started a virtual dialogue on Facebook called TNC or Thursday Night Church. We had a viewership of 10,000+ in the first month of starting.” Adell believes the people who tune in are hungry for spiritual growth. “I am blessed to be able to help them experience it.”

As the pandemic continues, Adell works with dignitaries in the church world. “Their donations have been hit, of course, so I have taught church leaders how to maintain and even heighten their ability to receive virtual donations.”

While Adell has a can-do mentality, he understands that he owes a lot of his success to other people. “I owe where I am today to thousands of people around the world. Their support has carried me through the challenges I’ve faced in my own life. In the end, no one is meant to do life alone.”

Adell frequently takes time out to offer some advice to new business owners. “I tell them that you’ve got to really gut it out,” he says. “You’ve got to really be brave and be ready to take on the world. It’s all about testicular fortitude.”

Adell has more to accomplish with Prophetic World Group. “Five years from now, I see us with about nine churches all over the country, and we’re shooting for an annual profit of $1 million. I definitely want us to expand and affect more people. I think we’re on track to doing that, which is really exciting.”

Adell is ambitious, he cheerfully admits. “I’ve got dreams just like anyone else. I am on track to accomplishing mine because even when I fail, I get back up again. Life does knock me down sometimes, but it doesn’t keep me there. That’s a big reason why I am where I am today.”

More from Sheikh

By Mir Mohsi

By Ishika Sharma

By Rinu Suthar