This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Manasvi Rao. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

This Is How My Domestic Help Became An Entrepreneur With Her Cooking

More from Manasvi Rao

“My apprehension is, will I be able to start this business on my own?” Neeta asked me while I was searching for a website designer for her new firm. I firmly adjusted myself and turned towards her to say, “You are not alone! We will do this together.”

Neeta is a woman with aspirations and dreams. She resides in a village called Kulgod in Karnataka, India, where there’s minimal access to the rich Indian cuisine food services. Neeta comes to my home every day to cook for us. She is excellent at her job and an expert in learning new exotic cuisines.

One fine day, as we were speaking about her village and her learning of cooking as a skill, I discovered that she had an opportunity to display her skills as a means of earning and starting her own business. She laughed at me and said, “Akka (sister), you must be joking because this is not my cup of tea.”

woman cooking lunch box
Food service is the first go-to business idea for anyone, anywhere. There cannot be a shortage of demand for this venture anytime soon.

Though Neeta laughed it off, I couldn’t get this opportunity out of my mind. She had an ancestral property near Kudgol, very close to Belgaum (a developing city) in Karnataka. I was thinking of a food business venture and Neeta, least interested in the conversation, was already off to work.

Today is the time for small-scale industries, especially in India, which is an underutilised labour market to provide great opportunities for small-scale businesses to grow.

What Are Small-Scale Businesses?

They are privately-owned corporations, partnerships or sole proprietorships with minimum employees and lesser annual revenue than a regular-sized business.

While small-scale businesses can often implement quality management systems found in larger corporations, they also face some constraints along the way. For instance, small businesses have fewer human resources and less up-front capital for some quality initiatives in the smaller businesses.

Hierarchy and relationship in these small businesses follow some organisational values in an order represented below:

Values → Mission → Vision → Policies → Objectives

This write-up will talk about some opportunities that can be taken up by all those young and aspirational minds willing to set an example to the world and daring to start their own venture.

These are some ideas for anyone who wants to run their own business. 

1. Food service: This has to be the first go-to option for anyone, anywhere. There cannot be a shortage of demand for this venture anytime soon. Example: Mumbai Dabba services ran in many areas efficiently even during the pandemic of Covid-19.
  2. Blogging or vlogging: With the advent of the internet, there are several business opportunities for innovative and creative minds. Blogging was initially used for recreational and informative purposes, but lately, it has grown as a lucrative new business idea.
  3. Private tutoring: Parents during the pandemic have realised the importance of a child’s overall development that schools alone are unable to provide. Hence, there is a growing need for specialised training to help children excel in academics and enhance their skills.
  4. Pet care services: During the pandemic, we saw a lot of pets in various parts of the world being left behind by their caretakers. While at this time, it was various pet homes that came for rescue. Pet caretakers, even otherwise, ensure that their pets receive the best care and treatment. They often look for professionals to take care of their pets while they are travelling.
  5. Educational apps: If you have expertise in this subject matter, then creating educational apps is a good go-to option for a small business venture. Apps related to general knowledge, mathematics and overall development are highly sought after and can help to create a good demand for your business.
  6. Clothes and accessories: There has been a growing business trend of renting clothing and accessories at a much lower rate compared to their original prices. This can be another option for starting a business. Branded clothing and accessories are the new emerging craze now.
  7. Consulting: If you are well-versed with the operations of this industry, then you can start an independent consultancy and create a good customer base. You can also speak at events and programmes to provide a strategic solution on a contractual basis.
  8. Cake-bake business: Bakery products — be it cookies, muffins or cakes — are in huge demand today and add to the happiness of celebrations. You can start your own bakery business with minimal investment. This will substantially and quickly generate more revenue than any other business.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Youth Ki Awaaz (@youthkiawaaz)

These are some basic ideas of how diverse the market of the business is. Neeta had a desire. Do you? If you want to do it you will be able to do it.

Women, especially, do not have to consider themselves any less than anyone in this world. Women all over the world, and not just in India, are apprehensive to lead. Though the scenario is changing, there’s a need for substantial change at the ground level. If you are Neeta or know a Neeta around you, you know what to do.

More from Manasvi Rao

By Saurabh Nanda

By Adivasi Lives Matter

By Upasana Chatterjee