This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Pankaj kohli. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

“My College & University Are Fighting Each Other, Students Are Suffering”

I am a student of BFIT college, affiliated to the HNBGU (Hemvati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University), one of the most renowned universities in Uttarakhand. I have not yet received my final semester marks. They were supposed to be out by September.

I am writing this piece to highlight an issue students like me have been struggling with. My college and university are in combat with each other, due to which we are suffering.

CBSE college students protest over the alleged paper leak, at Jantar Mantar in New Delhi.
Many Indian universities have ended up delaying conducting exams and declaring results, thereby infuriating students. Representational image. Photo credit: wionews.com

My course: B.Sc (bachelor of science) in agriculture, is supposed to be a four-year-degree, but my university in collaboration with my college, is trying its best to make it a five-year-degree. I applied for a master’s degree in HNBGU and have been desperately waiting for its merit list.

The merit list was supposed to be out after the results of the last semester were declared. The university itself is responsible for the declaration of our results. But, surprisingly, the university released the merit list for the master’s degree, before the declaration of the bachelor’s degree’s result.

No Response From The Authorities Yet

Now, since my final year result is not out yet, I can’t qualify to be on the merit list. I have tried to reach out to the authorities for a dialogue, and enquire as to the reasons behind the delay, but there is no response.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Kavita Krishnan (@kavitakrishnan1)

I got to know through other sources that due to some administrative glitches, the results have been delayed. Apparently, BFIT made a mistake which was unacceptable to the HNBGU.

What could have been better is transparency in the communication process. My classmates and I still don’t have any information from the college about our results being delayed. We don’t have any answers to our questions. These questions haunt me at night. I am unable to sleep peacefully.

I am still not clear on when the results will be out. I think that by the time they will be out, it will be too late, because all universities’ admission process for master’s would be over by then. My batchmates and I will be stranded for a mistake we didn’t even commit.

University And College Are Playing The Blame Game

Both, the authorities of my college and university, are blaming each other. Meanwhile, my college mates and I are unable to pursue higher education. I am a public service aspirant and the vacancies for the same aren’t announced every year.

I wanted to fill the form for Uttarakhand’s PCS (provincial civil service), but I couldn’t. I have been preparing for this exam for the past year and a half, and I was so excited to finally have a shot at it. However, since the form had a column asking you to fill in the marks from your final year, I was unable to do anything.

I feel broken. This has caused me a lot of anxiety. On the other hand, my friends from other universities could apply for the same. The PCS exam is very crucial to me. Now, I will have to wait for another two to three years, maybe more, for the same opportunity.

My inability to fill the PCS form has left me with immense grief. Later, the form for AAO (assistant accounts officer) was released. I thought that maybe, life is giving me another opportunity. But, the last date to do the same was in November. So, I couldn’t fill it… yet again.

Students’ Future Plans Have Been Hindered

I understand the issues that the university and college might be facing, but my mental health has been heavily compromised. They have left me with no answers. And, I know I am not the only one.

One of my friends is the oldest son in his family, with an unstable financial situation. He wants to work and contribute to the family’s income, but he can’t because his qualifications are not allowing him to do so. Bear in mind that he deserves a job that a graduate can do.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Youth Ki Awaaz (@youthkiawaaz)

But, since he is not a graduate yet, he had to adjust and sign up for something else out of sheer helplessness. Another friend of mine cleared BHU’s (Banaras Hindu University) entrance exam, but to no avail. She can’t proceed with her application either.

It shows the sheer ignorance of both the institutions towards their students. The HNBGU has already started releasing merit lists. Now, the institution is restricting students who are affiliated to them from applying.

We Want Justice!

A surprising fact is that a lot of the other colleges who are affiliated to the HNBGU have already gotten their results. It is only the students of BFIT who are still suffering.

Even after several reminders, there is no update from the university. Students shouldn’t have to suffer due to administrative errors. That the HNBGU is well aware of the fact that they have not issued the results for BFIT, but have released the merit list for master’s, is an injustice to all its potential applicants.

I, therefore, would like to demand justice and a proper response on how and when will I graduate!

Featured image is for representational purposes only. Photo credit: Wikimedia Commons.

More from Pankaj kohli

By Abhijeet

By Sofia Babu Chacko

By Jhatkaa.org