This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Jigyasa Tandon's Guide to Befriending Life. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

A Man Got 145 Degrees During Lockdown & This Is Why It Worries Me

More from Jigyasa Tandon's Guide to Befriending Life

I saw a lot of people celebrating, congratulating and giving the example of a man who completed 145 degrees online from prestigious colleges. It’s all over media, massively!

But, as a mental health practitioner working around the area of education, I wanted to check if this kind of celebration is causing some of us to raise an eyebrow, out of concern?

Since the lockdown was set in place, the phenomenon of toxic positivity can be observed. But, what is toxic positivity?

Here, the individual is made to invalidated of the feelings they are experiencing as a result of the situation. Instead, one is made to focus on the idea that you have to be positive and find a silver lining to keep yourself going.

Hustle Culture Is A Lie

This process puts into effect the thought that feeling negative about an instance is not healthy, and even if one is feeling sad, insecure, or distressed, these feelings shouldn’t be felt as it will just ruin one’s peace of mind.

As the person is constantly forced to feel happy and positive, they are often confused and find themselves in conflict with what others are telling them about moving on; and that indulging in recreational activities is the healthy way to cope.

This can make one devalue their own feelings. The persons strides on a journey to do many things and yet, from the inside, they feel tired and unaccomplished. Moreover, the happiness is short-lived. 

Through this example of quoting someone who has completed 145 degrees, education can be seen as a medium of positive toxicity. If we look closely, education is being associated with the idea of hustle culture.

Productivity Is Confused With Potential

It is kind of saying that it’s unhealthy to focus on something that’s affecting you. Rather, you should make use of this time to do the maximum and utilise all of them “productively”, as this is the key to success.

It shows how we need to constantly prove ourselves as worthy in front of the society. Along with this, our productivity is associated with the amount of things we have achieved in small span of time.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Youth Ki Awaaz (@youthkiawaaz)

We need to understand that we are humans and it’s okay to be unaware of certain things and hold expertise in others. We don’t all need to become the Jack of all trades, but can be the master who has some experience and expertise, instead.

Moreover, I am afraid that this person has set up unrealistic goals for people. Many may feel incapable and worthless, because they didn’t spend the pandemic in a particular way… They didn’t think of doing something as great as this man.

Some Of Us Can’t Cope As Easily As The Others

This could be also triggering for people who experienced anxiety, depression and other mental issues, where they would feel that their concerns were neglected, while others went on doing things perfectly.

While mental health issues did receive their five minutes of spotlight during the pandemic, but they are still viewed with stigma, largely.

People who didn’t adjust well with the lifestyle changes brought in by the pandemic, couldn’t believe that they were unable to do so, because after all, everyone else was able to.

Also, if someone was diagnosed with anxiety and/or depression, there was a complete refusal. Optimism was clearly reserved to getting hooked to screens, and going on about doing trends or courses. 

Did He Study Them For Real?

My other concern is that while he has 145 degrees, has he really perceived and understood all of it? He could go on to misinform or misinterpret. People might end up believing him just because he is “educated”.

View this post on Instagram

A surprising thing is that in India, we are mindlessly educated and value numbers over the quality of our intellectual experience! And, this toxic attitude spoils the lives of many Indian children.

Featured image is for representational purposes only.

By DianeH

By Priyanka

By Taushif Patel