Site icon Youth Ki Awaaz

‘Educated Girls Should Not Be In Live-In Relationships’: Is This Right?

Trigger warning: murder, victim blaming

I respect the Government and the representatives working for all of us but some comments from the people who call themselves the government make me think about what mentality people have nowadays.

The Delhi murder is very unfortunate but using it to generalize a personal issue is disgusting. Union Minister of State for Housing and Urban Affairs, Kaushal Kishore, referring to the horrifying Mehrauli murder case stated that “well-educated girls” are responsible for leaving their parents and hence being in a live-in relationship leads to crime.

For one moment, I would have agreed with him to a small percentage if he wouldn’t have mentioned that girls instead of getting into relationships should go for court marriage. I mean god damn it, either it’s live-in or court marriage, will the person change?

I will not take the Mehrauli murder victim’s example, but if some person has the intention to kill, whether it’s live-in or marriage, the person will eventually do so.

As far as live-in relationships are considered in general, it has nothing to do with education. Incidents like this are really unfortunate but generalizing it doesn’t make sense at all.

I come across so many headlines these days: woman killed for a cigarette, killed for chapati, killed for saying no to trip and many more unbelievable reasons. Social media made a lot of memes on the victim, but why?

“She did wrong, she left her parents, she was in a live-in relationship, she………, she………… but why is there no reference of the culprit? Why is the victim being blamed, because she is a female?

I am not pointing at all the men but I know some men will comment, “Don’t become a feminist now”. Please understand blaming a girl for everything is not justified and as I mentioned if a person has a criminal motive, he will commit the crime irrespective of the relationship – whether married or in a live-in.

Parents do think for their children’s good always, their decisions are in the best of our interest but not every time their child is wrong. It is high time, we all should stop accusing women, start acclaiming them!! Open your eyes to reality instead of being ignorant towards what’s happening around us.

Featured image is for representational purposes only. Photo credit: PixaHive.
Exit mobile version