‘I Am Not A Kitchen Appliance’: A 35 Second Advertisement That Debunks ‘Traditional’ Gender Roles

By Akhil Kumar:

In India, most of the families pride themselves in being ‘traditional’ and old fashioned when it comes to marriages. Arranged marriages are a phenomenon that many Indians can be found boasting about, often pitted against the ‘morally degenerate’ love marriages that they claim are the sole reason for increasing divorce rates. While doing so, they often hypocritically gloss over the regressive practice of propagating patriarchal gender roles by listing their ‘expectations’ from the girl in a marriage.

The high pedestal that they often place the traditional Indian arranged marriages on are often built on the foundations of patriarchy and structural misogyny. Why is the girl expected to be a homemaker? Why is she expected to ‘serve’ the husband and act like an obedient pet? This short advertisement is a brilliant satire that attempts to demolish the stereotypes that propagate regressive gender roles for women.

To know more about this story and what I think, follow me on Twitter at @Akhil1490